Recommendations for a first time build project

Robert

Reverse Engineer
We have a lot of first time builders here, and from time to time they tackle projects that are a bit too steep for a first time builder... With that in mind, I'm considering putting together a kit that includes everything needed for an absolute first time build (aside from tools).

I'm looking for recommendations for a circuit that would be good for this. It doesn't necessarily have to be a project that is already available here.

What I have in mind is:
  • High chance of success
  • Low parts count
  • No rare or hard to find components
  • No biasing / adjustments required
  • Preferably a two or three knobber
  • Something that appeals to a general audience

I think this is an excellent idea! One you've likely considered for awhile.

You have many that would work well. El Sol might be a consideration. [but it's a single knobber]

Last edited:
Just to add to your original list: I’d really like to dispel the idea that old Ge fuzz circuits are good for beginners. I see fuzz faces, tonebenders, et al. suggested for beginners quite often. The low part count really belies the amount of effort that goes into sourcing parts and constructing a good circuit. That being said, Si versions that are tolerant of part specs would be great suggestions.

I'd suggest the DC jacks with the outside nut. This might curb the frustration level in the event of an issue.

Edit: I'll just tack on here;

.5x more wire than needed. Someone who has not built one has more difficulty envisioning the amount of wire needed, and could easily cut themselves short.

IC and/or transistor Sockets

A Wiki or thread with detailed instructions.

I'd limit any options initially.

Last edited:
How about the Guvernator? it’s not a crazy number of parts. All can be sourced from Tayda.. (not sure if that 9n6 cap is a deal breaker for requirement, just put a 10nf in there). It was one of my first builds and by far the easiest one to date... great sounding pedal that’s pretty versatile.... I’m not sure if it gets much more straightforward than that... just my two cents. Hope that helps.

The Mercurial is not only an amazingly useful pedal, it is also a simple 3 knobber with easy to find parts. I think that could easily be a fun and useful first build.

The irony is that I've personally had more trouble with "simple" fuzz circuits than the larger more complex ones.
Absolutely. I feel like I have built enough variety to have an informed opinion. ‘Simple’ fuzz circuits take far more planning and effort than even some of the more temperamental BBD time/mod effects in my experience. They are one of the few effects categories that require at least a foundational understanding of analog design and core principles.

Reactions: fig
Red Llama might fit the bill. Mythos makes a copy, too, I believe.

Way-Huge-Red-Llama-Schematic.png

Last edited:
I think a three knob circuit may be best. I initially was thinking that a two-control circuit would be preferable (see below)—but the added stability of the third control might make things easier.

As much as I love the Rat, I don’t think that’s a good project for beginners. The IC issue becomes a rabbit hole of dubious info/opinions and may have people trying to source the 308 from sketchy places and possibly get burned.

I think a 250 (and distortion+) with a mods section would be great. A stock BOM for the 250 eliminates Ge parts. Perhaps a passive filter option for experimentation would be good (and adds a third pot for stability).

Ultimately, the documentation would have to be expanded. Including general instructions and perhaps a brief description of component roles would go a long way.

I started with the GCI brutalist and that documentation was extremely helpful for me as a first timer.

I think a three knob circuit may be best. I initially was thinking that a two-control circuit would be preferable (see below)—but the added stability of the third control might make things easier.

This was my reasoning behind two or three knobs over one.

There would definitely need to be more detailed documentation than usual, this would be the one time I would cover the whole "This is how you snap the tab off a potentiometer" sort of topics.

I would possibly want to commission someone to do a step-by-step video build as well.

This was my reasoning behind two or three knobs over one.

There would definitely need to be more detailed documentation than usual, this would be the one time I would cover the whole "This is how you snap the tab off a potentiometer" sort of topics.

I would possibly want to commission someone to do a step-by-step video build as well.
@jjjimi84 is all set up for video demo's

A Tubescreamer or any of the son-of-screamer variants would be good too. Although tube screamers don't seem as popular as they used to be.

Maybe a Timmy would be more popular--dealing with a toggle switch might be harder for an absolute noob. You could make a simplified 3-knob, no-switch Timmy variant (I guess that'd be a Mach 1)?

Mach 1/Dod 250/MXR Dist+/Red LLama as suggested above are all good options. (Which made me realize there's not a Red Llama PPCB yet--I'd build one of those).

Also, a boost or electra distortion is easy. I really like my speaker cranker--one knob simplicity.

Last edited:
I would ask is this something you really want to do? To me it implies a responsibility on your part to help all these folks make their pedal work. Peeple these days...... expectations can be hard to meet

Ag

I think the other thing to consider is picking a circuit that a beginner would have a high interest in building that also meets the other concerns that are listed. So ideally something folks are already motivated to try to build to save money instead of buying. Maybe the "coming soon" Dragons Breath pedal would be a good choice.

Back