Redshift (AionFX - Blackout Effectors Whetstone Phaser)

flemming

This was my first time doing an AionFX board (Quadratron and Spectron are on deck). I have mixed feelings about the board itself, but that's probably just because I've become accustomed to PedalPCB layouts. It seems like the holes on the Aion board are smaller and I had a harder time getting the solder to flow through the holes to make a nice fillet without using flux. Some of the joints in the picture look a little light on solder on the top side, but they look great on the bottom and it works just fine. I feel like the single large board for the power section and 3PDTs makes it a bit more cumbersome to work with. The photo messes up the colors a bit, but the graphics/knob are a combination of black and brown. The graphics are water slide and doing a larger pedal is certainly a bit trickier. Perhaps it's just me, but once again I was unable to finish a Ball Silver enclosure without some sort of scratch/ding in it. With all of the switches and such there's an interesting variety of sounds you can get out of it. For my purposes I don't know that have two different rate options is really much benefit but it is what it is. I like the aesthetic, it's fun to play with, and I'm glad that I'm done with it :) Next I need to do something simple as a palate cleanser.

Attachments

• PXL_20211023_180113888.jpg
    PXL_20211023_180113888.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20211023_180133457.jpg
    PXL_20211023_180133457.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
Looks great! And it’s not you, you just have to look at the ball silver to scuff it, but that finish looks so good.

Oh yea I love that finish. Mine is just bare metal with sharpie. I had a good time making this one, and it made me really enjoy larger builds.

58715DFF-DC78-4ACF-B0EB-F9F54AF17511.jpeg

I like the two rate settings, since I can have one set to a normal slow phaser sound and the other set so fast it sounds drippy, or ring mod stuff. I found that the all the bells and whistles don’t do much for me, especially the low pass mode.

Yeah, I built one of these myself. It’s an interesting phaser. It’s not way over the top but not subtle either. Quite elegant actually. Loads of great sounds though.

Back