Rig Run Down Clapton

Big Monk

C’mon guys.

Are we really ragging on Clapton? I guess somebody has to be a whipping boy, even one of the greats.

Bricksnbeatles

C’mon guys.

Are we really ragging on Clapton? I guess somebody has to be a whipping boy, even one of the greats.
Charles Manson wrote some great songs too, and Phil Spector pioneered the Wall of Sound. Doesn’t mean that they weren’t straight up villains as well.
Clapton is iconic for sure, but there’s no doubt that he’s a raging POS human being.

Big Monk

Yup. He's written some fantastic songs and I don't want to get into a full on debate on the guy but anyone who spouts shit like this gets literally no respect from me tbh.

View attachment 17150

In all fairness, he was a raging drunk only a few years forward from being a raging drunk AND total heroin addict. That was 1976. I have real trouble believing that after everything he’s been through in the last 45 years that he still feels the same way he did during that rant.

That’s assuming he was even with it enough to know what he was saying. He was constantly in a blackout state during that period. I don’t agree with any of what he said but that was a long time ago in a very bad period in his life.

As far as vaccines, I’m sure his position is a bit more nuanced than reported.

Last edited:

Big Monk

Nah substance abuse doesn't excuse it. Sounds like he was a douche and still is a douche

I think people are more nuanced than this. It’s very easy to rag on people, especially if they are rich and successful, without trying to understand the context of their behavior.

Some people are total and permanent pieces of shit by nature, some are temporarily aided very heavily by substance abuse, etc.

I’m not averse to eating crow and frankly I change my opinions when the facts change surrounding them with no qualms.

I’m just wary of dismissing people because of bad behavior a long time ago that does not reflect where they are at now or ever were.

Big Monk

The main reason I don’t like Clapton was an interview about “I shot the sheriff” I thought making money off someone else’s song and then pretty much insulting them... was kind of a D-bag move.

Again, that record came out when he just getting clean and still a raging drunk. We shouldn’t downplay the power of narcotics and booze to make people act like a fool, or worse, say really terrible things.

I have real trouble believing after all he’s been through and what he’s done for people struggling with substance abuse that he ever truly held, or still does hold, the kind of cold ugliness in that rant I heard or any real nasty critiques of Bob Marley.

Big Monk

Guys,

Short story long, I’m not condoning his previous bad behavior or being an apologist for racist rants, douchiness, etc.

All I’m saying is that I try to incorporate as much nuance and context into judging someone’s personality as I can.

It’s a personality trait (or flaw) of mine that has burned me before, but not nearly as much as it’s been right.

SillyOctpuss

I think people are more nuanced than this. It’s very easy to rag on people, especially if they are rich and successful, without trying to understand the context of their behavior.

Some people are total and permanent pieces of shit by nature, some are temporarily aided very heavily by substance abuse, etc.

I’m not averse to eating crow and frankly I change my opinions when the facts change surrounding them with no qualms.

I’m just wary of dismissing people because of bad behavior a long time ago that does not reflect where they are at now or ever were.

I had a friend who was an absolute asshole when he drank. He was agressive, loved to get into a fight and would come out with some of the worst racist and bigoted rants I've ever heard. When he sobered up he was either full of apologies or would claim he couldn't remember anything that happened the night before. He constantly blamed the alcohol or whatever substance he was on at the time. The reality though is whenever he was drunk we were meeting the real him and he just hid it better when he was sober. Blaming the alcohol and drugs was an easy thing to do but they didn't change who he was they just lowered his inhibitions enough to drop his mask and show his real beliefs.

Like I said I don't want to get into a full debate on clapton but I've seen enough from him that regardless of his musical ability, fame or riches that he's a pretty shitty human being.

Big Monk

I had a friend who was an absolute asshole when he drank. He was agressive, loved to get into a fight and would come out with some of the worst racist and bigoted rants I've ever heard. When he sobered up he was either full of apologies or would claim he couldn't remember anything that happened the night before. He constantly blamed the alcohol or whatever substance he was on at the time. The reality though is whenever he was drunk we were meeting the real him and he just hid it better when he was sober. Blaming the alcohol and drugs was an easy thing to do but they didn't change who he was they just lowered his inhibitions enough to drop his mask and show his real beliefs.

Like I said I don't want to get into a full debate on clapton but I've seen enough from him that regardless of his musical ability, fame or riches that he's a pretty shitty human being.

I certainly don’t want to argue either and I don’t think anyone on this forum would actually argue with each other about anything. That’s what makes this place special.

And you are 100% right concerning your anecdote about your friend. I had a mirror image of your situation. He was my friend but deep down he was an asshole, booze/drugs or not.

Conversely, I’ve known the opposite as well, i.e. people who really were railroaded and severely influenced by the booze/drugs who turned their lives around without it. These people were not, deep down, Mr. Hyde come forth, but rather just in a bad way.

I’m no fanboy as to Clapton’s personality though. I love some of his music very dearly and you always hope your heroes are nice people. If he truly isn’t it doesn’t matter to me anyway. I’d still like the music.

What matters more to me is not being at odds with any forum members here over something silly!