Rotating pcb holder

The Gator

Anybody using a rotatable pcb holder?
I like to do a lot of mods and the ability to flip the board over without unclamping sound nice. Just curious what others are using. Right now I am using a few different vises.
Thank you for you input
-Gator

I bought one of the PCB holders several years ago but couldn't really get along with it.

I just work directly on the bench.

This holds from itty bitty boards up to 18". For some reason I cannot remember the name. Perhaps it's because I'm hitting the sack in 5,4,3....

And check out my 8"x8" steel mouse pad, lol... 1/8" thick.....
Circuit board holder.jpg

Depends.

I mix it up and employ whatever method best suits the situation.

Sometimes its on card-stock on the bench, sometimes the rotisserie — depends on what I'm specifically working on, my mood, star alignment...

I do both myself, it's the flat on the table working in layers MOST of the time, but modifications and rework I dig out the rotary to access both sides at 1 time. you can get the stew mac item from amazaon for about shipping costs less THAN or even half price IF the 1 in the corner I saw shows for you.

I rarely use this on pedal boards, they’re small enough that just flipping them on a surface is fine. But for larger boards, it’s lovely. Panavise, but on a newer baseplate that gives me use of the cool magnetic base arms. Actually, I think I end up using those more often on pedal boards if I need them in a specific position to access harder to solder places…

(Note the two that are hanging off the bottom of the yellow plate.) I think for pedal work, I’d get a good system with the bendy arms and alligator clips before a board flipper.
36B0D2C0-4B75-4656-8769-886EE05D04DF.jpeg

I rarely use this on pedal boards, they’re small enough that just flipping them on a surface is fine. But for larger boards, it’s lovely. Panavise, but on a newer baseplate that gives me use of the cool magnetic base arms. Actually, I think I end up using those more often on pedal boards if I need them in a specific position to access harder to solder places…

(Note the two that are hanging off the bottom of the yellow plate.) I think for pedal work, I’d get a good system with the bendy arms and alligator clips before a board flipper.
View attachment 35818
I could NOT remember the name of my panavise last night. Laid down and thought "panavise" lol.... I've been looking at those pricey gooseneck helping hands and just couldn't accept the price. This morning I found the NAME of those!!! Now I can roll my own.....

I have the non-Stewmac version of this as well and it works great (and was much cheaper). It's super easy to flip from one side of the board to the other and the small jaws don't obscure much of your PCB footprint. Haven't had any issues with it other than it maxes out ~7-8" width if you're working on bigger boards.

We have some of the Panavise ones where I work and they've definitely stood the test of time. The downside is that the base is pretty large & you may have to loosen the main head quite a bit to get it to fully flip over. The upside is that you can use the same base and swap in a variety of different Panavise head types. If you're looking for a smaller Panavise base, the suction one is much smaller.

Back