Russian Halo / Big Muff Civil War

jeffwhitfield

Finally got started on this set of builds for some stuff to put on Reverb. This one was stalled a few times. More on that in a sec.

I started off wanting this thing to be as authentic as possible. So I procured a nice baggie of KT3102E transistors and built a test unit. So far, so good...but I wondered whether it would sound any different with the original diodes as well. Ordered a batch of KD521A as well. But, while waiting for the diodes, I misplaced/lost the transistors and had to order more (so pissed!).

Once I did receive everything, I started my first build of the batch and, after testing it, found that my test pedal actually had a bit more gain. That got me wondering whether it should have more gain to begin with. The transistors don't have a particularly high hFE (around 500 for most of them). It's not really a high gain Muff anyways. After tinkering around a bit, I opted to switch out the 390R resistors that run off the first three transistors for 150R's. That upped the gain a bit and does give it a bit more range.

End result is a pedal that can go from just a touch of fuzz to a nice amount of fuzz distortion. Definitely can get some of those Gilmour-like tones for sure. Throw it on a hot amp with the mid-cut on with a bit more treble and you can get it into metal territory. Works even with a blues setup too. Just a really versatile Muff. :)

Design-wise, I played off the Halo theme from AionFX a bit. Give the whole Russian transistors and diodes that were in the original, figure it was fitting to play that up a bit. Found a cool Russian font and graphic for it and threw it all on an army green enclosure. Print job didn't turn out exactly as I expected...but it still looks good to me. :D

IMG_0723.jpeg
IMG_0724.jpeg

Awesome job. I am just starting to gather the parts needed for this very same build. I think authentic is the way to go. Loving the vibe on this one. 👍🏻

Was the font 2 toned like that or did you do a white outline in the software to create that effect?

Was the font 2 toned like that or did you do a white outline in the software to create that effect?
It’s a white outline. I need to look again at the original file. I think the layering might be off. Result was still pretty good though…just not quite as intended.

Finally got started on this set of builds for some stuff to put on Reverb. This one was stalled a few times. More on that in a sec.

I started off wanting this thing to be as authentic as possible. So I procured a nice baggie of KT3102E transistors and built a test unit. So far, so good...but I wondered whether it would sound any different with the original diodes as well. Ordered a batch of KD521A as well. But, while waiting for the diodes, I misplaced/lost the transistors and had to order more (so pissed!).

Once I did receive everything, I started my first build of the batch and, after testing it, found that my test pedal actually had a bit more gain. That got me wondering whether it should have more gain to begin with. The transistors don't have a particularly high hFE (around 500 for most of them). It's not really a high gain Muff anyways. After tinkering around a bit, I opted to switch out the 390R resistors that run off the first three transistors for 150R's. That upped the gain a bit and does give it a bit more range.

End result is a pedal that can go from just a touch of fuzz to a nice amount of fuzz distortion. Definitely can get some of those Gilmour-like tones for sure. Throw it on a hot amp with the mid-cut on with a bit more treble and you can get it into metal territory. Works even with a blues setup too. Just a really versatile Muff. :)

Design-wise, I played off the Halo theme from AionFX a bit. Give the whole Russian transistors and diodes that were in the original, figure it was fitting to play that up a bit. Found a cool Russian font and graphic for it and threw it all on an army green enclosure. Print job didn't turn out exactly as I expected...but it still looks good to me. :D

View attachment 19385
View attachment 19386
This looks awesome, I love the design! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the transistors from? I'm looking to build one of these for a friend and am having a bit of a tough time finding those. Would regular ol 2N5088s work if I can't find them?

This looks awesome, I love the design! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the transistors from? I'm looking to build one of these for a friend and am having a bit of a tough time finding those. Would regular ol 2N5088s work if I can't find them?
DIY-Tubes.com

They have a few other KT3102’s that are cheaper. Likely just as good too. Got the diodes there too.

Back