Sagan Delay

chongmagic

I've been working on this one for a day or two, and am excited it fired up the first time. Lol. I have been wanting to build this for quite some time and it is an awesome delay with modulation. I wired it buffered because the preamp in it is fantastic as well. It has a send and receive section to add more effects into it. I haven't played around with that yet. The graphic was designed by Diablo Chris who created the board. Carcharias effects collaborated to offer the board for sale. I highly recommend this if you are a delay freak like me.

It is a more involved build and has two pcbs connected via sockets.

WILLIKERS! That's a lotta knobs & switches! Three delay chips... that thing outta make some other-worldly sounds. Looks like it was intended to model a 3-head tape delay, but I'll bet it does a whole lot more!! Nice build, as usual.

WILLIKERS! That's a lotta knobs & switches! Three delay chips... that thing outta make some other-worldly sounds. Looks like it was intended to model a 3-head tape delay, but I'll bet it does a whole lot more!! Nice build, as usual.

It is supposed to emulate the Roland Space Echo, it has added modulation and send and receive inputs to add in other effects. I actually have an old Space Echo that I need to restore. So maybe I can test them side by side someday. It is pretty awesome so far.

MY brother has my old Echoplex. I'm pretty old-school, but when it comes to delay, I prefer ones where the only moving parts are the pots. Sure, the Echoplex sounds great, but I don't miss changing the tape in that beast one bit.

I love the sound of tapes delays but would never want to actually deal with the upkeep of one.

Years ago I went to buy a fulltone unit and mike fuller has a disclaimer about the maintenance, I decided to buy an el capistan instead.

Well have I got a horror story for you. I got this Space Echo on a trade for some pedals from a local guy. He traded me for a standard delay, reverb, and a Tube Screamer clone. I asked if he was sure because I told him these things go for sometimes $1k and up. He said yes, red flag right there. I got it home in my garage and plugged it in, everything worked, except there was no tape. I was like cool this is my lucky day. Then I saw a little insect head pop up. Weird right? The I was like maybe I should take a look inside. Thing was filled with German cockroaches. Luckily I never took it inside. I had to use a shop vac to get them. Everytime I thought I had them all, there were more. I sealed it in a garbage bag and left it in a plastic sealed tub with roach bait. I still haven't taken it out to check on it, that was over a year ago. Still haunts me to this day. Maybe one day I can get it working again, but that will take some time to look in that bin again.

Well have I got a horror story for you. I got this Space Echo on a trade for some pedals from a local guy. He traded me for a standard delay, reverb, and a Tube Screamer clone. I asked if he was sure because I told him these things go for sometimes $1k and up. He said yes, red flag right there. I got it home in my garage and plugged it in, everything worked, except there was no tape. I was like cool this is my lucky day. Then I saw a little insect head pop up. Weird right? The I was like maybe I should take a look inside. Thing was filled with German cockroaches. Luckily I never took it inside. I had to use a shop vac to get them. Everytime I thought I had them all, there were more. I sealed it in a garbage bag and left it in a plastic sealed tub with roach bait. I still haven't taken it out to check on it, that was over a year ago. Still haunts me to this day. Maybe one day I can get it working again, but that will take some time to look in that bin again.

I guess I should say I still haven't gotten all the bugs worked out of that unit!

I was looking thru PedalPCB site for "Sagan delay"... :LOL:

The closer thing here looks like the Hydra Delay (https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/hydradelay/) any idea if it compares a bit to Sagan Delay?

What is the maximum ms delays of those things?

I would say it is somewhat similar to the Hydra, this has a little more analog feel. I would say the max delay would be somewhere around 600ms, that is just a guess. It starts to get really gritty as you increase the time, as all PT2399s do.

That looks great and the demo shows off the sounds very nicely. Hoping that Diablo Chris does a group buy sometime.

Back