Schu-Tone Gypsy

dan.schumaker

Here is something that I put together this weekend. I've had the idea kicking around my head for some grab-and-go type boards for a while now. The Six-Shooter that I posted the other week was a sort of start of that. I've had a thought for a Hendrix inspired board for a while, but never went ahead and implemented it. The Gypsy is what I came up with.

The Gypsy is housed in a 1590DD enclosure, and there are 4 circuits in the box. The first is a SI fuzz face. Pretty basic SI fuzz, with an added Body (input cap blend) and Contour (mids) control. This goes into a Roger Mayer Octavia octave fuzz with an added tone control. There is an order switch to determine if you want the Octave fuzz to go before the SI fuzz or the other way around. This all goes into a Univibe circuit. Taking a little bit from the Harbinger 2 and a little bit from the RG Keen UVICS, I modified the vibe to use a single pot for the speed control. Using a single pot, I have it wired to a switched jack so I can use an expression pedal to control the speed of the vibe. Its pretty cool! The end of the chain is a Marshall Amp circuit, pretty similar to the Ramble Drive, with a switch to go from +9V or +18V and a switch to go between 1987, 1959 and JTM modes.

All in all, I am really happy with how this turned out. For having 18 board mounted parts going into an enclosure, it went together about as well as one could expect! Using the stacked boards, I am about maxed out on height. It might be a little more comfortable to put everything in a 1590D (the taller version), but it works just fine in this box. It sounds really cool, and (if I could sound even 1% like Hendrix) would make for a great grab-and-go or inspired by board. Unfortunately for me, since this one worked out, I'm on my way to designing a few more "inspired-by" boxes like this. I already have a Page box designed and ready to go, and am about halfway through doing two separate Gilmour inspired boxes.
2295 Gypsy.jpg

Always love seeing your builds. I flipflop between wanting ample room to work and wanting the smallest package possible, and it's always inspiring to see how much you can get into a box.

Amazing job!
What's in your Page box? EP-3, Tonebender, Supro? Maybe a Marshall, or Lemonade?
Its a (slightly) smaller take on this... Its a GE Tone Bender, a Phase 90, Delay, EP Booster and a RAH as the amp.

Your stuff is alway immense Dan! How difficult do you find it to design two layer PCB builds?

Its a different mental puzzle. You have to think about where to have the points sending signal back and forth between the two boards and what makes sense to have on an upper board and a lower board. Things like separating pots and switches so they are on the lower board vs the rest of the circuit on the upper. And always, always, always check that you have the connecting points in the right order, it doesn't work too well if you don't :)
Page Box 1.jpg

Back