Send Help!

JamieJ

I seem to have become addicted to Tom Bukovacs homeschoolin’ YouTube channel.

I need help…

I have built loads of pedals over the last few years and have neglected trying to become a better guitar player and he has given me loads of motivation to start to do some more learning. He is such a good player! Anyone else a fan?

He is also a pretty cool guy who is just interesting to listen to.

SillyOctpuss

I've not heard of him Jamie but I'll check him out. I've had the opposite experience to you recently. I've been enjoying playing so much I've been struggling to find any motivation to build things. I'm perversely happy with my setup these days. It's a weird feeling.

Harry Klippton

I haven't watched him in a while but I liked what I've seen. If I recall correctly, his videos are on the longer side and I don't always get through them

Cucurbitam0schata

YES

This guy's amazing! Love his vids, he's super talented and a great teacher. What I appreciate is there are zero frills on his editing, but his explanations and ramblings are gold. Here's a fun one from August that I enjoyed: lots of amusing asides, an alternative tuning technique (by 5ths), a new way to refer to a whammy bar, and a perfect mayonnaise metaphor.

I'm pretty sure Tom was getting bored during the pandemic, not having any opportunities to play out since he's either recording or touring all the time. There was a Rig Rundown with him right before covid hit, and it felt like I just discovered a diamond in the rough. Shortly after that vid hit the web, he started posting lessons right from his garage with pandemic mothballed gear all around him. He's been posting solidly since 3/20/20. Glad he's started sharing.

Preverb

I haven't watched him in a while but I liked what I've seen. If I recall correctly, his videos are on the longer side and I don't always get through them

The usual format was that he would play something, talk quite a bit about random music topics and then go into how to play the music from the start of the video. So you could just skip the middle bits of most of his videos if you are looking for just how to play the song only. I actually thought about downloading the vids off youtube and editing them with AVIDMUX to cut out the middle parts and just try to focus on the lesson.

I seem to have become addicted to Tom Bukovacs homeschoolin’ YouTube channel.

I need help…

I have built loads of pedals over the last few years and have neglected trying to become a better guitar player and he has given me loads of motivation to start to do some more learning. He is such a good player! Anyone else a fan?

He is also a pretty cool guy who is just interesting to listen to.

I got hooked into his stuff early on in the pandemic. It made me realize just how boring I am on guitar and lacking in knowledge of how to put music together well. (Also guilty of focusing on everything but playing haha). I went through a phase where I was trying to find a deal on MIJ Firebirds on the yahoo japan auctions. I've finally given up on that but I am kind of tempted to build an offset pastscaster with FB pickups now. I also had a look to see if anyone had posted the schematics for the Ebo reverb he uses. It is a spring unit but sounds between a plate and spring somehow.

HamishR

I've not heard of him Jamie but I'll check him out. I've had the opposite experience to you recently. I've been enjoying playing so much I've been struggling to find any motivation to build things. I'm perversely happy with my setup these days. It's a weird feeling.
I heard of him through Ask Zac, also on Youtube. And like you, I have had quite a few periods of not building this year because I figure I can't get any better than what I have. That changed kinda when my friend brought around his Tim for me to try and I discovered just how much better than a Timmy it was. Since then I have built almost a dozen for other guys!

cooder

Tom is amazing indeed, and his videos are gold. Never heard of him until he started doing the videos, what a find.

Another great player with good videos to check out is Josh Smith IMO.

SillyOctpuss

I heard of him through Ask Zac, also on Youtube. And like you, I have had quite a few periods of not building this year because I figure I can't get any better than what I have. That changed kinda when my friend brought around his Tim for me to try and I discovered just how much better than a Timmy it was. Since then I have built almost a dozen for other guys!
A Tim is on my list but it's a big list and motivation is low. I'm really happy with my klone and KoT.

HamishR

I'm sure it's my weird personal taste because the Klon and KoT are hugely popular, but they don't do it for me! I like a big chunky sound and the Klon and KoT are more high-end focussed. They probably sit in a mix better but I do like some low-end punch. :)