Shika Fuzz build on the Muffin Fuzz Board

The tone pot is backwards, but otherwise it's doable.

Shika PCBs should be here in a few days though.

So that's how EQD gets such a bitchen tone! I'm reversing all of my tone pots.

Haha, that's how the Elk Sustainar that it's based on was wired as well. This is meant to be a sonic clone of that, not really an entirely new design.

A friend of mine who has or has had damn near every variant of Muff you can imagine (original EHX and boutique) does really seem to like this one... enough so that he bought two of them.

The only thing I see that's a little different in this one is the Tone network tuning. I thought maybe the final stage would saturate with the higher gain, but simulation says it doesn't.

The only thing I see that's a little different in this one is the Tone network tuning.

Probably all it is really... or maybe he just likes the purple artwork. My buddy is a pedal user, not builder. He doesn't know (or care) what makes things sound different.

I didn't A/B it against anything, but it did seem a lot less harsh than a typical Muff into my Princeton.

Probably all it is really... or maybe he just likes the purple artwork. My buddy is a pedal user, not builder. He doesn't know (or care) what makes things sound different.

I didn't A/B it against anything, but it did seem a lot less harsh than a typical Muff into my Princeton.
I got a buddy who swears his Jan Ray is not a Timmy! Adamantly!!

Reactions: fig
Oh yeah, I know one of those guys too... always spouts forum knowledge/hype about various boutique pedals and why this one is so much better than that one.

I've purchased and traced several pedals just to prove a point...

I show him schematics but his response is almost always the same... "Well, I can't read schematics but I know what my ears tell me."

Yeah? Well, tell your ears they need to stay off of gear forums.

It makes the tone control sweep backwards like a Rat (CCW to increase treble).... nothing more.

Reactions: fig
It makes the tone control sweep backwards like a Rat (CCW to increase treble).... nothing more.
Since it’s a linear sweep between a simple high pass and low pass filter, couldn’t you build it with the correct tone sweep by simply putting the HP capacitor where the LP resistor goes, the HP resistor where there LP capacitor goes, and vice versa?

I've ordered the Shika pcb today, and looking forward to assemble this one!
I decided I'll do a twist to the circuits and swap R19 with a 50k pot in series with a 10k reistor to have an additional mid knob.
I'll report about the final results.
I also have an Earthbound Audio Supercollider, which is also an amazing take on the BMP, so looking forward to compare these 2.

I already did check the TSC, I know what I might encounter 😉
Actually if you check the Elk schem on the bigmuff page, that 330pF cap in the tone gives an even more dramatic mid scoop than what I'll get with my mod!

Last edited:
Back