DEMO Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar Vol. V - Gilmour-esque....

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

This pedal demo turned out a lot harder than I imagined it would be. Partly because of the content. Since I've been building a bunch of pedals that are in some way associated with David Gilmour I decided to showcase some of these pedal sounds. Trying to emulate David Gilmour is a bit like treading on sacred ground for me.

Also, partly because trying to get close to some of the sounds I'm hearing "printed to tape" is hard. I'm not completely happy with some of the tracks but it's as close as I can get with what I've got built. I'm very glad I don't do this for a living. Gives me a lot more respect for some of the better Youtube demo guys like Pete Thorn and Mike Hermans.

But mostly because I still suck at video editing and none of my mac's seem like they are powerful enough to handle editing multiple video streams. I gave up after a while, so ask for forgiveness in advance for the lack of "polish" of this video and a few "blank" panels. I need to take some video creation lessons from @jjjimi84!

This was a bit of an ambitious pedal demo for me. Ended up being 8 guitar tracks. I'm going to do something a little different with the TL;DR write up since it's too extensive to put into panels on the video itself. You can skip this next bit of monologue if you're not interested:)

Gear order of appearance:

Acoustic Guitars: I used to do a lot more recording of acoustics and was pretty anal about how they sounded. But it's been well over a decade since I've recorded any acoustics and I sold my mic's. So I really don't have a good way to record acoustics naturally although I've been told that even an SM57 can sound pretty decent with the mic pre's on the Apollo. I may try that at some point. I used my John Allison OM which is the only acoustic guitar I have with a pickup system in it. It's a dual source system with an under saddle piezo and a small condenser mic. I plugged it direct into my Space Heater which is being used as a clean tube preamp, then into the Apollo. I used the Century Tube Preamp plugin for some compression and EQ in the DAW. I was surprised that it actually sounded halfway decent recording direct but it still sounds a bit "plasticky" to me with the Piezo pickup. I recorded 2 tracks panned right and left. Also, I was not able to completely strip out the original acoustic tracks on the backing track so you're hearing my acoustics on top of Gilmour's J45. (His sounds a lot better.....:))

PRS S2 Starla: For this track I used a bit of compression with my General Tso's going into my GOTA LPB-1 then running into my Space Heater again but with the gain turned up to just breaking up slightly.

All electric guitar tracks were using my General Tso Compressor, Space Heater set clean as a tube tone conditioner, Tourbus Delay and Gravitation Reverb with various settings. This track had a bit of extra reverb.

M-Line Guitars Special S: This is my oldest guitar build, a Warmoth 7/8 size Strat with GFS Mean 90 pickups. (The current pickup configuration is fairly recent). This guitar had been sitting in parts for over 15 years in my closet before I decided to pull it out and rebuild it. Man I still love it! Kinda beat up and old enough to be "vintage". I originally built it in the late 80s. I used this for the first solo and had a real hard time getting a sound I liked. I probably should have done a bit more research on what gear Gilmour used but I'm pretty sure I'm hearing an Electric Mistress on the album but there's a weird gated quality to it that I can't quite identify. I spent a few days chasing a reasonable facsimile and wound up using my Tater Tot running into my Phase II and the modulation on the Tourbus turned up a bit.
Apologize for the darkness of the image, a thunderstorm rolled in as I recording this. I was glad to get through it without losing power!

M-Line Guitars 90Caster: Two tracks panned left and right for the dual guitar solo. After trying a bunch of different guitars it just sounded right with the bridge P90 on my 90Caster Tele so I went with it. These tracks were identical settings, running into the dirty side of my Arche Boost then into the Grover Drive.

Gretsch Jet Junior: This guitar didn't make it into the video because......basically my laptop puked when I tried to add one more video stream. But I used it for the "call/answer" part during the dual guitar solo. Using the bridge Filtertron pickup running into the Dirty side of my Arche then into my Cattle Driver. Lots of reverb. Somehow I thought I'd be using the Cattle Driver a lot more for this demo but this is the only track it wound up on.

Strat: My trusty parts caster for the final solo. This is an old alder Classic Vibe body, roasted maple Fender neck with Pau Ferro board, Lollar Dirty Blonde pickup set. I love this guitar, it's nothing fancy but I sold my Suhr Classic Strat because I just like this one so much better. This track was the first time I've ever used a fuzz in the context of a song. I used my Gnat Fuzz (thank you for the inspiration to build it @szukalski!) It was run into the General Tso into my Clandestine Preamp into the Gnat into the Spaceheater. Definitely catching the Gilmour fuzz vibe on this track.

For the final verse part I used this same setup with my Strat but moved to the neck pickup and had the volume knob of my guitar down to about 3, the Gnat cleaned up considerably well.

After recording this whole thing, it occurred to me that Pink Floyd are notorious content blockers on Youtube. So I apologize in advance if the video gets removed.

I have a couple of backup plans but gonna try Youtube first.

Backup plan B

Backup Plan C

Last edited:
That Gnat really does a good approximation of his Muff tone in that solo!

Very nice!
You're much more on top of the Gilmour lore than I am, was that Muff he was using back in the 70's? Or a Buzzaround?
The Gnat just sounds better on my Strat for that track, although I did go through all my fuzzes see which one came closest.

@Big Monk or any other Gilmour fans, any idea what he was using on that first "Dying of cancerrrrrrrr" solo? There's a cool warbling quality to it that I "think" is a Mistress but I'm not sure......

You're much more on top of the Gilmour lore than I am, was that Muff he was using back in the 70's? Or a Buzzaround?
The Gnat just sounds better on my Strat for that track, although I did go through all my fuzzes see which one came closest.

@Big Monk or any other Gilmour fans, any idea what he was using on that first "Dying of cancerrrrrrrr" solo? There's a cool warbling quality to it that I "think" is a Mistress but I'm not sure......

Animals is all Muff for the heavier distortion. Same with his solo album.

That first solo is double tracked, with the Big Muff and the Yamaha rotating speaker.

Great way to tie your build reports and showcase them together.

It's cool how you mixed the floyd vocals and tracks with your guitar tones. A lot times people just play along with a cd track and there's too much of the original bleeding in (making it hard to hear what the person is actually playing vs what is on the recording). How did you do this so seamlessly?

In general:

Saucer to Meddle: Ge Fuzz Face
Meddle to Dark Side: Si Fuzz Face
WYWH: Powerboost
Animals to Wall: Muff and Powerboost
So Free Four and Childhood’s end are both SI FF? He was still using the Binson at that time too, right?
I’m not a huge floyd fan, but I love the Obscured By Clouds era

So Free Four and Childhood’s end are both SI FF? He was still using the Binson at that time too, right?
I’m not a huge floyd fan, but I love the Obscured By Clouds era

Yup. BC108 Fuzz Face and Binson.

The Binson Echorec II is a foundational effect for him. It’s there on Saucer and really doesn’t start getting phased out until his ‘78 solo album.

Last edited:
Great way to tie your build reports and showcase them together.

It's cool how you mixed the floyd vocals and tracks with your guitar tones. A lot times people just play along with a cd track and there's too much of the original bleeding in (making it hard to hear what the person is actually playing vs what is on the recording). How did you do this so seamlessly?
I use a nifty piece of software called RipX. It gets me about 80% of the way there in separating out the vocals, guitars, drums, bass into stem files that I can then load into my DAW and remix. Some of these older recordings are more problematic as they were mixed for FM radio back in the day and are pretty compressed. Sometimes I'll have to take one of the stems and run it through another piece of software to further scrub the guitar parts out. There's actually a way to manually dissect parts out with RIPX but I haven't taken the time to learn how to do it.

My main goal is to get just the guitar parts out and record my own version of them over the original rhythm section. All of my "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" demo's are the original studio recordings of the various artists (Steely Dan, Robben Ford, etc).

One of them, "Don't Take Me Alive" was super problematic. I wound up using most of the original studio recording but couldn't separate the guitars from the keys because they were so close tonally. I wound up using the keyboard stem from Bobby's Backing Track for that tune. Now THAT was a pain in the arse! Because it was played by a different keyboard player with slightly different accents and timing and pocket. I had to manually quantize the keyboard track to fit in with the original rhythm section and replace Don Grolnicks original keyboard performance. Which was a shame because it's soooooo good. But whoever played it from BBT did a pretty darn good job even reproducing all the ornamentation and licks.

Part of why it takes so long for me to put out a pedal demo hahaha. Preparing the backing tracks is time consuming. But it's also a blast to be able to virtually step in and play the guitar parts of some of my guitar hero's on the original recordings.

Michael you did it again! What an inspiring demo! And it’s one of my absolute favorite track of theirs! Really nice tone and articulation!

Michael you did it again! What an inspiring demo! And it’s one of my absolute favorite track of theirs! Really nice tone and articulation!
It's particularly gratifying to hear all those tones were from pedals I've built. Putting all the pieces together woven into the context of a song is what really thrills me.

I'm so grateful to this community and all of you guys that have helped me along the way and I've learned so much from. And so grateful to @PedalPCB for making it all possible, in so many ways.

Ok....so this happened......I call it "Gilmour Finger Syndrome" from all those crazy bends.....

...and a sure sign I'm not playing enough. Spending too much time building pedals and reading this forum.... :ROFLMAO:

I'm gonna need to lay off playing for a couple days and hope it turns into a callous and not a blister.
(back to building pedals and reading the forum....hahah)

IMG_3491.JPG

Back