DEMO Shut Up and Play yer Junior! One pickup, lotsa sounds....

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

New demo, lots of pedals used....the rest is TL;DR......feel free to skip....:p

A few months back there was a thread where we were talking about what we tend to play when we test pedals. @Robert mentioned that his was a big "A" chord...hahah.

Well, it got me thinking about how I generally test pedals, something I didn't even think about, but I realized that I too tend play the same "A" chord riff when I first fire up a new build. So I took my "test" riff, added a 1-4-5 progression and turned it into a song with an extended bridge section with some modulated changes for some contrast.

Thus, a rare original from me named "Stomping Ground".
I had also promised Wolfe Macleod a demo for the fabulous P90 pickup I got from him that I installed in my Harley Benton LP Junior project.
So I thought I'd do something a little different from my typical demo where I tend to use a lot of different guitars for different sounds.
In this demo, all the guitar tracks are done with the same guitar, to showcase both the incredible Wolftone pickup and also how versatile a single pickup guitar with
50's wiring can be. The harmonic content of this pickup is amazing. And the fact that I'm getting these killer sounds out of $155 guitar with some fairly modest upgrades (pickups, pots, bridge) is still mind boggling to me.

A couple of firsts for me on this demo:
First time recording myself playing bass (I'll ask for some forgiveness in advance, I'm not a bass player). My first bass I've owned.
First time programming drums. THAT was interesting.....turns out....I'm not a drummer either....hahah. I used the MT PowerDrumKit 2 vst plugin. This probably took me the longest time. (How many bars was that again.....can you even count Mike???:rolleyes:)

Pedals making an appearance in this demo:

In my time based buffered loop: Tourbus Delay, ManoWar Deluxe Delay, Gravitation Reverb.

In "front of board" pedal chain: General Tso's Compressor, Modus Operandi Boost

Main Guitar riff: Skylight Overdrive pushed by the Modus boost. Loving this crunchy, chewy overdrive!
Bass: Mercurial Boost into an Ampeg SVT UAD amp model.
Bridge rhythm guitars: Double tracked panned left/right. Touchstone Chorus running into my Electrovibe Mini.
Bridge slide guitars: Double tracked panned Left/Right: Modus boosting my Tellurian Overdrive.
Low gain bridge solo: Modus boosting the Jump Drive. Guitar controls rolled off for lower gain sound. Took a while but this pedal is really growing on me.
High gain bridge solo: Celsius Preamp boosting the Fuzz Aldrin (yah, I know this fuzz is supposed be voiced for Strats....but I've never been good with following directions...:p)
Outro guitar and slide parts: Modus boosting the Jump drive again but with guitar controls around 8 for both tone and vol.

Cool, that must’ve been a lot of work!
I like how you follow the chords in the bridge nicely in your lead part!
Many thanks to you!

For those of you that haven't heard Harry's (@harmaes) demos, he's a monster player!
I was struggling a little bit soloing over the chord progression I wrote for the bridge and playing over the changes in a convincing way. Chatting with @harmaes offline and he gave me a quick lesson...."follow the chords..." (duhhh.....ok that makes sense...:p)

That was really great- privileged to heard an original!

*No idea how you sit still like that shredding stoically though- I'm all over the room when a jam gets spicy!

Some great playing there, my friend! There's a vibe/theme to your playing which comes from a certain era of player/influences and it'll be a sad day when it's finally lost to the world. (Is that a way of saying you're old? I dunno, I dig it!)

Going into a UAD amp for the guitar?

Some great playing there, my friend! There's a vibe/theme to your playing which comes from a certain era of player/influences and it'll be a sad day when it's finally lost to the world. (Is that a way of saying you're old? I dunno, I dig it!)

Going into a UAD amp for the guitar?
I was chatting with @dawson offline and was mentioning how cool it is that this community is such a melting pot of players of different backgrounds, genres, (and ages) bound together by our love of building pedals. There's so much I don't understand, like "doom metal" and "shoe gazer" (just learned that term this year!). But yah, my influences and playing style date me for sure hahaha. I tend to play what I hear in my head, which is most definitely informed by being around as long as I have:) (E.g., I'm an old fart compared to most of you)

Yup, same amp model on all the guitar tracks. Clean Freidman Buxom Betty amp model. Just love that amp. Kind of a cross between a blackface bassman and JTM45 when run clean.

Last edited:
Back