Slowing Down (or Speeding Up) PT2399 Delay…

Coda

Is it possible decrease the delay of a PT2399 chip based delay? Could I get it down to like 10ms? 5ms?

30-340ms sir.

Yea, that’s what I was thinking. Well, what I was actually thinking was that the Keeley Magnetic Echo (PPCB Magnetron) could be modded into a flanger. Then I figured that if it could, it would have been already.

Ok. We’re done here. Clear out everyone *flicks lights* let’s clear it out for the next JHS wishlist thread…

...but you can cascade them...to increase it...I don't think it works the other way round though....above my head....

If you’re looking for modulation, the 2399 can be used to make a pretty good chorus. But yeah, the 30ms floor will be your limit.

If you’re looking for modulation, the 2399 can be used to make a pretty good chorus. But yeah, the 30ms floor will be your limit.

It was more just a thought experiment. I haven’t messed around with the Magnetron in a while, and I hit upon an “almost” flange tone…

You could decrease the resistor coming out of pin 6 of the 2399. The problem, however, is that you'll run the risk of the chip stalling, for lack of a better term, when you connect the circuit to power. It simply won't work when this happens. The fix is to disconnect then reconnect power and should be good to go. Thus is why nearly all 2399 based delays have a 1k resistor or higher in addition to the TIME or DELAY pots.

You could decrease the resistor coming out of pin 6 of the 2399. The problem, however, is that you'll run the risk of the chip stalling, for lack of a better term, when you connect the circuit to power. It simply won't work when this happens. The fix is to disconnect then reconnect power and should be good to go. Thus is why nearly all 2399 based delays have a 1k resistor or higher in addition to the TIME or DELAY pots.
This is the biggest annoyance trying to go below 30ms. New to the forum here but spend a lot of time messing with my 2399's between real jobs and have had some success getting them to go lower, or stay at the floor but using other parts to kinda manipulate the effect. But the chips safety lockup remains the biggest challenge.

Sorry to bump an old thread without much to offer other than confirmation. Just wanted to confirm Buddys observations. Im actually currently back to messing around with the concept for the same reason you brought it up Coda. I have a flanger commission on deck and figured why not get back to trying while i wait for the builds chips to show up in the mail

Back