Small resistors - wrong markings but right Ohms

Cucurbitam0schata

Hey Folks -

Working on my Seahorse, realized that I was sent 560-marked resistors from Tayda instead of receiving 470 Ohm resistors (for R20 on the schematic).

Funnily enough, they all test at 480-ish Ohms, which is close enough.

1579450770553.png
Annotation 2020-01-19 101523.png
Annotation 2020-01-19 101523asdasd.png
Annotation 2020-01-19 101523asd.png

Have you all noticed this for your tiny resistors? I even have some correctly labeled 560 Ohm resistors, and they have the same markings as my "470" resistors! Overall, it's no biggie, since the 470's test right. For all you folks who have more experience, it this just something to look out for when using small Ohm resistors?

It happens. Right out of school I worked at an electronics manufacturer who had just bought some automatic board stuffing machines. One of the reels of 10K resistors they received were actually 200 Ohms. They were marked as 10K resistors. Being a commercial outfit, they did very little incoming inspection. Only took an hour or so to install almost 5,000 wrong resistors on circuit boards. Naturally, none of those boards worked. Whenever we needed parts in Engineering or the Service dept, we'd go over to mfg and cut some off of the end of a reel. As fate would have, a bunch of those funky resistors found their way to Service and Engineering. The irony was that the automatic stuffing machines has a verifier on them that would test every part before installation and would have caught these. The mfg guys had turned off the verifier because the machines ran faster without it. :rolleyes:

Back