Soldering Mat

jeffwhitfield

Reactions: fig

thewintersoldier

Like @fig I use cheap dollar store silicon cooking mats or for putting hot pots on. They are more than adequate for the board and soldering on. As mentioned above if the relative humidity is too low in your house it can cause a dry static filled house. The best way to easily discharge static in a hurry is to rub a dryer sheet all over whatever has static. This is also a great hack for pickguard that cause static in pickups like a strat or tele. Instant fix.

peccary

This is the one I've been using lately:

Had a blue one before this one. They're cheap so I don't feel bad if they don't last but 6 months.
I've had mine for almost a year now and it's all nasty with rosin on my soldering station side and has a bunch of slits in it because I keep forgetting it's not my cutting mat. I just kind of want to see how far it goes, honestly :ROFLMAO:

pcb rookie

I was just amazed how much static gathered in the mat in just half an hour of usage when I went pull it up from the work bench. Barry, you may have put the finger on my main issue .... I live in Canada which is up north for most of you ... and it's -20f this morning so the heating system is working full capacity. The air is dry no dough. I'll give try the dollar store silicone mats a try and I'll quickly figure out if that is the low humidity environment that's causing the static. I'll also buy a pack of dryer sheets as Thewintersolder recommended ... it can only help! Thank you all for your comments.

fig

Village Idiot
Your wife knows you use her over liner?
She made me buy my own. Not very exciting, but it works. I actually cut mine into smaller rectangles (it was 24"x16").

51+g14t0vhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg