Soldering SMD (FV-1) - wait between pins?

Bucksears

I typically never solder ICs (and rarely solder transistors), so I'm a little skittish/overly-cautious with my first FV-1.
Pretty much the only question I have is: how long should I wait in between soldering each leg?
EDIT: I've already started soldering this one, but it's slow going as I'm waiting between soldering each joint.

Years ago, I read that when soldering photocells, you should solder one leg, then wait 5min or so, then the next, repeat.
I'm just taking the same precaution with the FV-1 until I hear otherwise.

usually one side will get soldered at a time. you do that by putting flux on the board and the pins, and then use the technique that Barry mentioned in the post above mine. The flux draws the solder onto the parts and board.

I was a bit hesitant with SMD chips until I realised they can take the same temperature as their through hole cousins

I use the method @Barry posted and as @zgrav says plenty of flux to draw the solder in to the pads

I often use this method I don't do exactly as demonstrated by @Darrencp but I use the el cheapo hotplate for any SMD soldering especially with adaptor boards or a pcb that only has one SMD chip or whatever

Next time I get a full SMD board I plan on sticking every component on the pcb with solder paste and whacking it on the hotplate

It works very well

Last edited:
My normal procedure has been to work in an X pattern. Top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left, rinse, lather, repeat.

Usually I'll check the IC after four joints to make sure that it's not warming up too much. I just touch it with the pad of my finger. If it starts to get warm, I let it cool off a bit before I move forward.

That's mostly just cause I haven't bothered to learn how to drag solder yet. If you're iffy about practicing new techniques on an FV-1, and how no one could blame you for that, it's a decent way to go.

Thanks guys. I might give drag soldering a try on my next build.
I typically do what @Stickman393 describes above: working opposite points on the chip, slowly to avoid overheating.

Thanks guys. I might give drag soldering a try on my next build.
I typically do what @Stickman393 describes above: working opposite points on the chip, slowly to avoid overheating.
I had the same concerns not long ago when soldering up mmbfJ201’s to adapter boards after a few you’ll see nothing to it, doing the same thing only on super tiny parts. For me, I get pretty liberal with the flux hit it with solder touch up the solder (I.e check 4 solder bridges and pull any extra solder out) may sound crude but I’ve had no issues this way And I waited maybe 30-45 seconds between hitting it with solder again each time, just did my THAT4305 like 10 minutes ago exactly this way

Also, jeweler's tweezers and solder paste are EXTREMELY helpful when placing and soldering SMDs.

Place a little solder paste at the corner pads, hold the IC in place with the tweezers use your free hand to hit the corner pads with the soldering iron. Cake.

Back