SOLVED Dream Fuzz sustain control issue!!

ledlueck

EDIT - All it was was me reading the forums somewhere else where it said a TL072 is a replacement for a UA741CP, which several mentioned here is incorrect. Got the correct chip and VIOLA it works!!! Thank you so much for your help here!!!

Hello there all, first post here so if I make any mistakes or don't know of a resource I could have checked, apologies in advance, I am all about learner to be better. This issue I am encountering is a first for me as most of my other builds went through without issues.

I am a novice and am on my 15th or 20th build and just finished a dream fuzz circuit and everything but the sustain pot behaves as it should. The sustain control raises and lowers the volume in the exact same manner and timbre as the volume/level control whether the tone cut switch is up or down. When the sustain is all the way down and level all the way up there is zero volume and vice a versa.

For troubleshooting I swapped ICs, tested the pots to make sure they are working properly and reflowed the whole board to make sure all connections are being made. That didn't change anything. In frustration I built the backup of this same dream fuzz pcb identical to the first only swapping R1 for a 22k instead of 56k it calls for I hopes to add a little volume. To my dismay, after a very careful and tedious second build it does exactly the same thing. I am also using a TL072 IC in place of the U741CP.

And advice is greatly appreciated and taken with the utmost humility I really would like to get better.

Levihttps://photos.app.goo.gl/bycjVMNoTAnu8WoXA

Attachments

• 20230109_163730.jpg
    20230109_163730.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230109_163747.jpg
    20230109_163747.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230109_163800.jpg
    20230109_163800.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
When the sustain is on enough to let your volume control work and you set the volume at a good level, what happens when you then turn the sustain up? Do you get a noticeable change in the sound and increase in sustain? I have seen some pedals where there is enough interplay between the controls that you can shut down the signal if you turn something down too far.

Back