SOLVED Magnetron unity gain issue

Coop

Fighting a strange issue with my latest build.

I am getting some odd noise and switch popping at unity gain.
I have been playing with the trim pot for a solid 30 minutes. I have found 2 points that sound great, no extra noise or switch popping. One is above and the other is below unity....So too loud or too quiet. I can't get it just right without loud switch popping or it sounding like a droid from SW depending on where the level knob is set.

The above and below unity points work great.

Any thoughts on where to start?

I just find it odd that I can get it sounding and working perfectly with no popping at 2 points. Too loud or too quiet. Absolutely love it so far so I really hope I can get it sorted...Ignore the burning on the io board...I reused that one and had a hell of a time desoldering. I still need to clean this one up

1654999271316.png

I will take a look but the lead/pad is right at the edge so that is what you are seeing there. I can try replacing it. Looks fine from the other side. I just went through all resistor values and everything looks good there.

C6 was wrong and replaced but did not fix my issue. Delay works great. I just get the popping and a bit of noise in the middle of the trim pot. Both ends (Quiet and loud) seem fine. Will dig around for a replacement

Replaced the opa2134 I purchased from Tayda with a 4558 and it works like a dream. No issues at all....Nothing like wasting a few hours expecting you made a mistake...
Man, I was about to order some OPA2134's from Tayda because they're the only ones that have them in stock. (That in and of itself is probably a little suspicious.) They've been out of stock everywhere else including from TI directly. I've been subbing NE5532's in my builds that have called for OPA2134's. So far so good.....

Man, I was about to order some OPA2134's from Tayda because they're the only ones that have them in stock. (That in and of itself is probably a little suspicious.) They've been out of stock everywhere else including from TI directly. I've been subbing NE5532's in my builds that have called for OPA2134's. So far so good.....
I probably would have went with the NE5532 if I had some on hand. I have a pile of 4558s and it did the trick.. It is socketed so I can easily swap it out.
A borked $7 chip, that ain’t cool. I have one on it’s way from Tayda. I guess fingers crossed.
I hope it works out. I could have just had bad luck on this one.

Deja Vu

fyi: The SMT version is also purty scarce.

Back