Some pedals I've made

BurntFingers

Here in New Zealand, like a lot of places, we're going through some business closures and there's not much work happening at the moment as non-essential businesses have called it a day for a while.

I'm a photographer and had the studio setup still up from a client gig we did last week so I brought some pedals to the studio.

This is the woodpecker, an eqd hummingbird clone. Does the helicopter attack thing very well, doesn't do a lot else:

6Q1vfpT_d.jpg

This is the eqd disaster transport jr clone. Nice delay with a useful tone knob that actually does something.

tMvtTfp_d.jpg

Hot cake clone. Honestly doesn't sound a great deal like the original. It sounds like the clones I've seen and heard but something is missing. It's not bad, just a bit anaemic compared to the originals I've had.

Mwgig6N_d.jpg

Timmy clone. I screwed the placement of the switch on this one. Which is ok because I don't really like this pedal either. However the tone controls are a useful addition to splice into other circuits.

U2sFajz_d.jpg

This is a modded SHO. One of the best boosts on the planet and about 10 components. Every guitarist should have one of these somewhere in the bag.

MqXYZE2_d.jpg

This is the Delegate, a eqd warden clone. I didn't 'get' compressors before as they all tended to sound a bit crap or impose too much on the sound but this is fantastic with anything you put through it. Lots of tweakability and it imparts a warm squish on things I rather like. With the gain up it also still helps you out by adding some fatness and body to the sound but still keeping it tight for the chugga.

LI8S61Y_d.jpg

This is a red llama clone. Another one that I think sounds like crap so I'll be reusing the housing and parts but changing the circuit inside. This was a Vero build.
fPlbVM6_d.jpg

Deep Blue delay clone. Painted by a buddy of mine who was the paladin in our DND group.

cJVvT8h_d.jpg

My original design (kinda). It'd a modified ritual fuzz, which is a modified meathead, which is a modified colorsound, which is a modified whatever. This is a huge thick wall of sludge. Not some 60s vintage thing, it's just doom all the way down.

Has a starve control which is a dying battery simulator. Literally just a pot spliced between DC jack and the board which shunts the current to ground. Super basic.

Cdq6o3K_d.jpg

It started life as this in 2010 and has since undergone much modding:

y9oA9mU_d.jpg

I can only attach 10 files which is a shame. Anyway. What else are we gonna do during lockdown when your $300 tayda shipment is trapped in a Singapore airport?

Cool stuff. I love the honest reviews (I also did not ‘get’ the red llama that I made, didn’t even box it up).

So many cool enclosures, I’m especially intrigued by the sho. Looks like grooves were made a by a dremel wheel maybe? Was it spray painted and then sanded to get that contrast?

I really like the echo machine too. They all came out nice.

love the art. did you use paint? markers? are they clearcoated?

also... you dont like the Timmy??? blasphemy

Great post. Appreciate the thoughts on all the pedals. Interested in what paint you used. I might hand paint some of mine. I have lots of bare enclosures at the moment.

Here in New Zealand, like a lot of places, we're going through some business closures and there's not much work happening at the moment as non-essential businesses have called it a day for a while.

I'm a photographer and had the studio setup still up from a client gig we did last week so I brought some pedals to the studio.

This is the woodpecker, an eqd hummingbird clone. Does the helicopter attack thing very well, doesn't do a lot else:

View attachment 3555

This is the eqd disaster transport jr clone. Nice delay with a useful tone knob that actually does something.

View attachment 3556

Hot cake clone. Honestly doesn't sound a great deal like the original. It sounds like the clones I've seen and heard but something is missing. It's not bad, just a bit anaemic compared to the originals I've had.

View attachment 3557

Timmy clone. I screwed the placement of the switch on this one. Which is ok because I don't really like this pedal either. However the tone controls are a useful addition to splice into other circuits.

View attachment 3558

This is a modded SHO. One of the best boosts on the planet and about 10 components. Every guitarist should have one of these somewhere in the bag.

View attachment 3559

This is the Delegate, a eqd warden clone. I didn't 'get' compressors before as they all tended to sound a bit crap or impose too much on the sound but this is fantastic with anything you put through it. Lots of tweakability and it imparts a warm squish on things I rather like. With the gain up it also still helps you out by adding some fatness and body to the sound but still keeping it tight for the chugga.

View attachment 3560

This is a red llama clone. Another one that I think sounds like crap so I'll be reusing the housing and parts but changing the circuit inside. This was a Vero build.
View attachment 3561

Deep Blue delay clone. Painted by a buddy of mine who was the paladin in our DND group.

View attachment 3562

My original design (kinda). It'd a modified ritual fuzz, which is a modified meathead, which is a modified colorsound, which is a modified whatever. This is a huge thick wall of sludge. Not some 60s vintage thing, it's just doom all the way down.

Has a starve control which is a dying battery simulator. Literally just a pot spliced between DC jack and the board which shunts the current to ground. Super basic.

View attachment 3563

It started life as this in 2010 and has since undergone much modding:

View attachment 3564

I can only attach 10 files which is a shame. Anyway. What else are we gonna do during lockdown when your $300 tayda shipment is trapped in a Singapore airport?
Amazing work!!!!

love the art. did you use paint? markers? are they clearcoated?

also... you dont like the Timmy??? blasphemy

Just acrylic then spray enamel clear coat.

And yep, Timmy holds no power here. I have a 1997 mesa tremoverb so it's a tough job to get even remotely close to how good that amp sounds. I've been admittedly spoiled.

Great post. Appreciate the thoughts on all the pedals. Interested in what paint you used. I might hand paint some of mine. I have lots of bare enclosures at the moment.

They're powdercoated white then I use regular acrylic paint then clear enamel.

You can just prime bare boxes with white matte, then paint on that. That's what I did for this one:

TPY7ZMO_d.jpg

This is the thermionic, the BE:OD clone. It's a fun little pedal. I have to have the bass on full all the time or else its very thin. The inherent scooped sound tracks reasonably well but does make it hard to differentiate the guitar in a band mix, it just sort of sinks until you crank the presence. There's potential in this pedal but I think it's a bit half-baked as is.

Lh08VGq_d.jpg

Here's an eternity burst clone I made on Vero. My attempt at misty mountains didn't quite pan out as intended but there it is. This is a tubescreamer of sorts. It does that honky cocked wah thing very well but does have a congested mid range that could use some tweaking as it too sounds a little muffled in the mix. It's a cool pedal when used on a lightly overdriven amp though which I think is the intended use.

LufSoqH_d.jpg

Here's a sea machine clone. It does a million things, 2 of which are useful. The other stuff is so out there I struggle, in my limited musicianship, to find a home for the sounds. If you want a regular chorus look elsewhere as the basic chorus here is pretty flat, but if you want crazy stuff to give an extra dimension to a part this might be the ticket.

jnrEDah_d.jpg

It's a eqd cloven hoof. If I could have one fuzz to cover a lot of territory it'd be this. If I could have one fuzz to play what I play it'd be the fuzzboy from the previous post. The cloven hoof is a gainier version of the hoof I think. It can do everything pretty well and the tone controls are useful to dial in just how much you want to stand out. My wife painted this.

ZQndnpL_d.jpg

All beautiful! I'm still figuring out the useful settings my Sea Machine. I modd'ed mine to be more like a Space Spiral - longer delay.

Looks like you built yours a while ago when the names of the DEPTH and INTENSITY controls were swapped. The Lower left knob (DEPTH) sets how much the delay varies, the lower right knob (INTENSITY) is the wet / dry mix. I get the best chorus sound with SHAPE, DIM & ANIM at zero. DEPTH at max, INTEN at noon and then I set SPEED for the best movement without detuning. Because I modd'ed mine to have slower LFO and longer delay capability, I can also dial in echo with a nice chorus effect on top.

Yeah I remember something happened with the labels, like the build doc had different to the layout... Or I screwed it up.

Oh now I remember. There's 3 versions of the sea machine and the labels changed around from v1 to v2. I used the latter version labels but the pedal was the v1 circuit.

Either way I'm waiting for the Julia clone to make an appearance and then this thing is gone.

Back