Son of Ben - Preamp

Elktronics

I just finished building this one. It sounds great! A little more gain than I was hoping for.

I had to mix and match pot types with what I had on hand, which messed with how I had to solder them all in so they were set at the same height.

I also tried some different enclosed jacks which I got from Cusack Music. I’m not super keen on these. They don’t feel as tight as the other enclosed jacks I used to get. Also not fond of the tiny hole to put your hook up wire in.

I set Q2-Q3 at 4 volts, but was wondering what Q1 should be set at? I currently have it set by ear, but am keen to see what others have done.

Enclosure is a Tayda 125-B in Ball Silver. This color shows every scratch. I feel like I need to wear gloves when I hold these.

Attachments

• D13641AD-6402-4903-BDB2-69F57F394DEE.jpeg
    D13641AD-6402-4903-BDB2-69F57F394DEE.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 27D4FAAA-55F4-4E87-9921-7A7DD4DB1685.jpeg
    27D4FAAA-55F4-4E87-9921-7A7DD4DB1685.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 94
Well ya made it work!

Im also not super big on those jacks, I ordered twenty or so of them and the first time I put a cable into it the tip tab bent sideways. No dice.

I’m thinking of trying some Lumberg jacks for my next build. Those parts weren’t around when I was actively building last. I got some stereo enclosed jacks from Tayda, but they look to be the same manufacturer as the mono ones I got from cusack.

I like the enclosed jacks I get from small bear, but the higher cost and speed to get them puts me off. Although I guess the lumberg jacks are more expensive those too.

Nice build!
The build docs say how to set the Q1 trimmer, but setting by ear is as good a method as any.

I have some of those Cusack jacks and they work OK for me. I think the best jacks are the open Switchcraft jacks that SB sells. Can also get 'em from DigiKey.

Nice build!
The build docs say how to set the Q1 trimmer, but setting by ear is as good a method as any.

I have some of those Cusack jacks and they work OK for me. I think the best jacks are the open Switchcraft jacks that SB sells. Can also get 'em from DigiKey.
Thank you!

I guess I was confused by the 2k notation. I’m setting the trim pot to 2k? I’m not sure why it’s a trim pot if a 2k resistor would get the job done. Is it just one of those things with JFETS where you need that adjustablity to account for how jfets can vary so wildly?

Assuming my electrolytics are rated high enough, if I ran this at 18v, I’d probably just need to tweak the trimmers by ear, right? Or would I essentially just want to see 8 volts on the the drains of Q2-3?

9V would be a good starting point and then tune by ear. The trimpots may not be large enough. If you're already past the 1/2 way point, then you'll need to increase the trimpots or the resistors in series with them.

Back