Son of Ben

MichaelW

I really love the play on words and how "punny" @PedalPCB is when it comes to naming his projects:)

When I first saw this one, I had no idea who "Benson" was or what their amp's were about. (Actually still don't know much about them, just not on my radar).

But I decided to build this because it looked like an easy build and I bought it with a bunch of other easy "noob looking" projects at some point.

I biased it according to instructions and I think it sounds pretty good. Although I am considering pulling out the 10u cap (C5) and see what that does.

The heavier overdrive sounds are not really my thing but I'm digging the cleaner and edge of breakup settings. Still messing with it to see how to use it.

I'm also still debating which knobs to put on the white 1590B enclosure. So it may wind up looking different.

IMG_2864.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2867.JPG

Taking out the 10u caps and the jfet source will drastically reduce the gain/volume. I’ve found that 10u is the sweet spot. Then again I like the higher gain effects out there

You could try lowering the value of the cap. That will only reduce the gain, but like I said, removing it entirely will be too much.

I think it sounds pretty sufficiently "amp-ish" with the default PedalPCB bom. Since this is a re-pro of the Chimera preamp section I think I'll just try treating it like a pre-amp. Maybe a screamer or Klon in front of it to help focus some of the more higher gain settings. Or just vibe out with the clean, lower gain settings. Need to spend some time with it today. What I'm REALLY thinking is that this pedal needs to be paired with a harmonic tremolo:) Wish I had one......

• Love
Reactions: fig
Hahaha, ok, you're on.....I'll be pinging you with all kinds of noob questions when I try to build one......

Reactions: fig
ok, messing with it a bit more this morning between meetings and now that missus and dog are up and about. I'm REALLY starting to like this pedal! There's definitely a "pushed Tweed Deluxe" quality to there overdrive sounds. The "Bass" cut knob is subtle and I couldn't quite figure out what it did until I cranked it up a bit. I'm liking it at around 10 o'clock (more towards the scooped "American" side", with the gain around 3 o'clock and a light "push" from the Paragon Clean Boost pedal before it. Somehow though, I don't feel like I have the "right" guitars for this pedal....I think I need a Fano now.........(hahahahah)

Back