Son of Ben

bobson dugnutt

This was a lot of fun! I had built the zen drive prior, and before that done kits, but this was by far the most challenging build I've taken on yet. Thanks SO MUCH to PedalPCB for not only having the highest quality PCBs I've seen, but also selling those pre-soldered J201s. Good lord. Seeing the SMC version in person had me very happy I went that route. I'm still getting my confidence up on the build and sourcing side of things, so this is a pretty vanilla build using all the Tayda parts and their pre-drilled enclosure.

Also thanks to y'all on the forum for giving me a ton of reading material and helping with the research; I haven't done electrical engineering since college and even then they don't teach you much in the way of the practical aspects. The preamp sounds amazing, possibly because of all the work that went into it :)

Oh and does anyone know of an LED bezel that fits those pre-drilled Tayda enclosures? I tried the 3mm ones they sell but it's just a tad bit too wide. I'll probably redo that piece and drill out a larger hole sometime in the future.

I have some wacky ideas I'm prototyping and excited to hopefully post about here in the future!

Attachments

• IMG_2813.jpeg
    IMG_2813.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    857.5 KB · Views: 69
That looks awesome, glad you enjoyed it!

Nice save on the 3PDT breakout board. Just in case you weren't aware, next time if you flip it over the wiring would be much easier. (That side should be facing the switch)

This is the LED lens that fits the pre-drilled enclosures:

Haha I figured I might have done it wrong! You put all that effort into adding those hints to the silkscreen and I was like "wait, which way is down?" Having to twist the wires really should have been a hint.

Definitely going to pick up some of those lenses!!

Back