Spaceballs - Gone to plaid

Nic

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
You may have guessed it already, but here is my take on PPCB's Lowballer. I've wanted to try this one following some comments here. The build went really great. It's the last of my first batch of tayda UV printed enclosures. Once again my drilling ended up to be a really thight fit. I had to remove the pot insulation on the top row in order to fit the jacks.

My inspiration came wanting to play around with the theme "ball". What came instantly in mind was Spaceballs, a movie I must have seen a hundred time when I was young. I must say that pedal can produce some "spatial" sounds, to the name was good. I went with blue leds for the boosters, some may hate it.

20230122_220544.jpg

After boxing it, I went ahead to rock it... led lights up but no sound, not even in bypass. I don't know how many times I will again wire those stereo jack the wrong way, but that time I immediately knew that was my problem. After redoing the wiring, it fired right up.

I made a mistake ordering the knobs and took 6mm. I've just finished drilling them to size on the press... that was sketchy.

I'm not sure if I like it or not, I will have to play more with it and maybe combine it with other pedals.

At first I thought I had made a mistake because all the top knobs where not doing anything. Playing with it and having a look at the schematics confirmed me that those knobs where only on the distortion mode of the pedal.

20230122_221007.jpg

So I began by tuning the high and low setting on the non distorted signal and then played with the sens, decay and attack. I must say I'm not sure I hear any difference playing around with the attack setting.

Finally, this was my last board... I still have some builds to post here but need to be fine tuned before. I'm trying to finish them all and decide which one are keepers before ordering new projects.

Enlarged layout is once again to accomodate a battery. I have a Roland power supply here and found out lately after looking for a weird noise in a couple pedals that the power supply was the problem.

I've build that pedal to fit a batter and wanted to keep too mounted jacks. So I used a larger enclosure and spaced the pots. Doing so, I have to wire them to the board. I solder the center pot and switch on the board so the board is secured.

what a clean build!!
there is any chance of we getting a demo of it? I always wondered how this circuit sounds!

• Love
Reactions: Nic
Back