Speaker for cab sim?

duffy_lane

Any of y'all rockin cab sims like Two Notes Torpedo?
Looking for a setup to play guitar away from my computer. Starting to get over wanting a tube amp setup.
Coming from using pedals + NeuralDSP plugins so I'm definitely a fan of digital fx.

Any speaker or cab recommendations? Can't find much info on this but it feels like I need a powered cab or something, one could argue studio monitors might be a better fit but I'm wondering if there's anything else. Maybe I'm wishing the Torpedo was more like a Kemper?

Reactions: fig

Stickman393

I use a line 6 helix; I've found the powercab plus 112 to be excellent when loaded up with good IRs.

As per usual...I find L6's speaker simulations to be...just...just awful. Really. Ymmv. But loaded with a good IR, I find it gives me more of a "amp in the room" feel than playing through my KRK RP8'S.

Lots of folks use FRFR's, there's lots of options out there.

SillyOctpuss

Any of y'all rockin cab sims like Two Notes Torpedo?
Looking for a setup to play guitar away from my computer. Starting to get over wanting a tube amp setup.
Coming from using pedals + NeuralDSP plugins so I'm definitely a fan of digital fx.

Any speaker or cab recommendations? Can't find much info on this but it feels like I need a powered cab or something, one could argue studio monitors might be a better fit but I'm wondering if there's anything else. Maybe I'm wishing the Torpedo was more like a Kemper?
For me it depends on volume. If you can get enough volume to really work a speaker then a powdered cab or a SD power stage and regular 1x12 is the way to go if you want that amp in the room feel.

If, however, you can't really get away with the volume and wont be working it hard enough to push any air then studio monitors are a better bet IMHO. I use both, a real cab when I'm out playing with people or during the day and studio monitors at night when my kid and MrsOctpuss are in bed.

duffy_lane

@Stickman393 @SillyOctpuss Thanks y'all, I couldn't have hoped for better responses!
I just had the opportunity to try a few cab setups and I don't think I'll be able to push enough air through any cab in my condo bc my studio monitors feel too loud at times (JBL LSR 308)

I'll be sticking with NeuralDSP + Bogren IRs for now
Which IRs are y'all using?

SillyOctpuss

York Audio for IRs but since the recent helix update which increased the oversampling the stock cabs have improved immeasurably. I've really been enjoying the stock cabs which is literally the first time that happened after getting a helix and then discovering IRs.

fig

I run a Scarlett 6i6 into Logic Pro -sims- to a pair of M-Audios. They are a bit bassy but the EQ cleans it in the software.

I also have an Amplifi 150. It's got some whacky modeling software (Line 6...'nuff said) but it doubles as a REALLY nice bluetooth speaker, and I can play my music library through it. It also mixes the guitar/bluetooth levels well.

fig

Bx8s. Overall the Amplifi has great sound quality for a DSP. You can edit and store sims and pedalboards onto the onboard bank presets or through the bluetooth app (when it connects).

SillyOctpuss

(when it connects).
Lol little comments which always speak volumes :ROFLMAO:

After being burned by line 6 on a flextone ii XL I swore off them until the helix had been out for a few years and I realised they were actually going to support this product.

The flextone sounded great at home volumes but literally disappeared into a wall of mush if yoi tried to go for any sort of volume with a drummer.

Paradox916

I’ve tried bias fx.... and wasn’t super impressed then wished I would have just went with Neural... but in retrospect why settle for an emulation when I have the real thing? So all bias Fx is now is a glorified IRLoader, I have been using some Ownhammer IRs and that seems to work really well with a line out from a load box. Do all my forward signal chain with real pedals and amp and DSP for cab, modulation, delay, reverb. Some times I will split the signal and run a real amp, emulation and multiple IRs... 99% of the time I’m rocking head phones because when I have an opportunity to play the wife and kid are asleep.

SillyOctpuss

I’ve tried bias fx.... and wasn’t super impressed then wished I would have just went with Neural... but in retrospect why settle for an emulation when I have the real thing? So all bias Fx is now is a glorified IRLoader, I have been using some Ownhammer IRs and that seems to work really well with a line out from a load box. Do all my forward signal chain with real pedals and amp and DSP for cab, modulation, delay, reverb. Some times I will split the signal and run a real amp, emulation and multiple IRs... 99% of the time I’m rocking head phones because when I have an opportunity to play the wife and kid are asleep.
I do a combination of real amps and cabs, helix into power amp and cab, helix into studio monitors or real amp/load box into helix as an IR loader. All depends what time of day it is, what I'm doing or what kind of mood I'm in

I use my real pedalboard with every option though and it sounds glorious with all of them.

@duffy_lane which York IRs did you buy?

Grubb

York Audio for IRs
That is the correct answer. I have used a few of the free packs floating around the internet for years, but paying for York Audio IRs was a good investment. I have Vox, Fender and Mesa OS IRs that make a huge impact on the quality of tones I am getting out of my Atomic Amplifire, which is the heart of my rig. Also, Justin is a really nice guy who cares a lot about the quality of his product. Give them a listen, they are affordable and KILLER.

Grubb

Also grab the £1 cut down version of the 212 Mesa. I liked it so much I bought the full pack. It's different enough from the 412 to warrant having.

My fav packs are the m25 greenbacks, 112 deluxe reverb and the matchless v2.
I have the Deluxe :love: but when I was purchasing, Matchless V2 was still in production. I may have to go back again to try it.

SillyOctpuss

I have the Deluxe :love: but when I was purchasing, Matchless V2 was still in production. I may have to go back again to try it.
I had the V1 and for £15 just couldn't resist picking up the V2.

I do really like the York Audio IRs but as I said earlier after Line 6 increased the oversampling I'm also really digging the stock cabs now. I've been going through a lot of my patches and have been finding the stock cabs a lot easier to dial in now. They also stand up to any IR I've tried... Once you match the volumes. The srock cabs are quite a bit quieter than most IRs I've had which immediately puts them on the bafk foot when comparing tones.

Sepultura_AD

@Stickman393 @SillyOctpuss Thanks y'all, I couldn't have hoped for better responses!
I just had the opportunity to try a few cab setups and I don't think I'll be able to push enough air through any cab in my condo bc my studio monitors feel too loud at times (JBL LSR 308)

I'll be sticking with NeuralDSP + Bogren IRs for now
Which IRs are y'all using?

I've tried several options and concluded that studio monitors are the only way to go if you want to actually play quiet. I have an 8" Headrush FRFR speaker and a 1x12 Recto cab with a tube power amp. Both "amp in the room" options are too loud if I don't want to annoy my wife.

I used free Seacow Cabs IRs for a long time. Recently switched to York Audio. Can't really say one is better than the other. IRs are just different flavors of ice cream - gotta try them and see what you like. I'm wanting to try the Borgen IRs but wasn't sure how "mix ready" IRs would sound just playing by myself.

I actually took a long break from Neural DSP, just sick of sitting in front of a computer all the time. Recently came back to them and forgot how good they play and sound. I'd probably get a Quad Cortex if the damn things weren't $1,850.

SillyOctpuss

I actually took a long break from Neural DSP, just sick of sitting in front of a computer all the time. Recently came back to them and forgot how good they play and sound. I'd probably get a Quad Cortex if the damn things weren't $1,850.
The little hx stomp is cool if you want to get away from playing at the pc bit don't want to drop 1800 bucks on a quad cortex. I have one which I keep on my pedalboard and use if i'm playing in the living room with headphones.

Sepultura_AD

The little hx stomp is cool if you want to get away from playing at the pc bit don't want to drop 1800 bucks on a quad cortex. I have one which I keep on my pedalboard and use if i'm playing in the living room with headphones.
HX Stomp is great. I picked up a used one for $450 last year. Crazy powerful little pedal that can do everything. I've just never been completely satisfied with the amp modeling. It's more of a feel thing than a sound thing though. I can get a few models (Friedman, ENGL, Revv) sounding good enough but something about the reaction and feel just isn't there. I'm definitely more picky than I should be for my very average playing ability though.