Special Combo Pedal - Madbean Kompromat + PPCB Simulcast

WheatAndBarley

PICS:
This is a special project I made for myself. Absolutely fell in love with the sound of the broadcast at lower gains for funk/RnB tones and then I needed another compressor since I sold my wampler ego mini. My idea was to approximate what Cory Wong uses to mix his guitar sounds. He did a video with Universal Audio a few years ago where he talked about his 'base tone' being an API compressor with a blend at about 50% and an SSL 4000E with some of the low end rolled off. Thought it would be fun to put the two of these in one box with individual i/o so I can swap them around if need be. The kompromat has a blend if I wanna dial it out as well. I will probably put other knobs on it at some point, these are just the best options I had on hand. Also still need to get the Kompromat LED working. There were some logistical things I had to work out, specifically that I wasn't 100% sure there was going to be room for both of these circuits in a box that's slightly smaller inside (by a few mm) than your standard 1590BBM.

I was pleasantly surprised by the kompromat. I figured it would be pretty similar to the wampelr ego which I loved and I can say it sounds pretty similar. I think the ego maybe can get a tad squishier but I never got to compare them side by side.

This was also my first time using a Gorva enclosure and I'm not sure if I'll be using them again in the future. They're Canadian which is great, they're pretty slick looking, and they've got a nice selection of colours. On the other hand they're like 2.5x the price of the ones from Tayda and the bevel was really hard to screen print on, though if I had known it was going to be so hard I would have worked around that.

Overall very happy with this build and can't wait to do some more playing with it. It also RIPS on bass.

Last edited:
Back