Spirit Box build

Dan0h

Finished up the Spirit box build last night. This one is great, it has some similarities to some of the SLO sounds.
Two things I wish: First I wish I would have seen the issue about volume drop. I would have used the 17k in R5 instead of the 10k. It’s a very noticeable drop. I just don’t want to desolder and risk messing it up so I’ll live with it.
Second: it’s more of a delay than a reverb. I was hoping to be able to dial in the reverbish sounds a bit more. But it’s ok because it sounds great for what it is and it’s going on the board.

Attachments

• 88AB853E-CF54-4422-BC07-8FE488940D6D.jpeg
    88AB853E-CF54-4422-BC07-8FE488940D6D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • 21846A59-E378-4D39-8E92-B0D9ABC09094.jpeg
    21846A59-E378-4D39-8E92-B0D9ABC09094.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • E88DAC85-81F6-40BD-8115-0D6403994E2F.jpeg
    E88DAC85-81F6-40BD-8115-0D6403994E2F.jpeg
    824.7 KB · Views: 57
It's R4 that should be updated for the volume drop. I've seen folks reference R5 and that was what I initially changed but it didn't help. Honestly I think it made it a tad worse. I did more digging and saw someone recommend upping R4. I replaced it with a socket so I could easily revert back if I needed to but I put an 18K in R4 and I'm not looking back. Huge difference and I would recommend the change. I tend to be like you in not wanting to mess with things when I'm done, but if you plan to use the pedal with a band I personally think it's worth it. Or if you leave it on all the time you could probably just raise your overall level to compensate.

I also did the momentary switch mod. It was okay but not worth the parts and effort. At really mild settings it's cool but at higher settings it just gets noisey super quick. Which could be a plus for some people!

It's R4 that should be updated for the volume drop. I've seen folks reference R5 and that was what I initially changed but it didn't help. Honestly I think it made it a tad worse. I did more digging and saw someone recommend upping R4. I replaced it with a socket so I could easily revert back if I needed to but I put an 18K in R4 and I'm not looking back. Huge difference and I would recommend the change. I tend to be like you in not wanting to mess with things when I'm done, but if you plan to use the pedal with a band I personally think it's worth it. Or if you leave it on all the time you could probably just raise your overall level to compensate.

I also did the momentary switch mod. It was okay but not worth the parts and effort. At really mild settings it's cool but at higher settings it just gets noisey super quick. Which could be a plus for some people!
Cool. Maybe I will swap it out. Thanks for the info.

Maybe this weekend I can put together a sound file comparing if that would help with your decision?

Thanks for this note, im waiting on my brick to arrive but almost everything else is in the board, so ill just change r4 and skip the middle part!

Back