Spirit Box - Dwell control does not seem to do anything.

fthomas152

Hi all - I have a weird problem with two Spirit box builds I made recently.

The "depth" knob seems to work fine - seems to work much like a wet/dry mix
The "attack" knob also seems to do its job - at the end of the sweep approaches a slap back type delay sound.
The "dwell" knob seemingly does nothing. There is the same level of reverb effect across the whole range of this control.

I built this with the same components twice and both builds do the same thing. Not entirely how to start figure what's gone wrong.

I checked the values on some of the components I wasn't 100% sure about and they all seem ok.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
I built 2 Ghost Echo clones so far, one from PedalPCB and one from GuitarPCB and have to say the Dwell always felt like a "whatever" knob to me in both. Either something is off in the trace that everyone bases their PCBs off or it's shitty design by EQD (wouldn't be the first time).

The Spirit Box 'Dwell' control is dependent on the 'Depth' control. If the Dwell control is set low, I wouldn't expect to hear much regeneration.

Try cranking 'Dwell' to max and see if you can hear a difference.

Yea it seems like across the whole range even cranked it doesn't seem to make a difference in sound.
I'd check all of the components in the regeneration path.

1649790071990.png
If your Dwell pot isn't grounded (bad connection at pin 1) it would be always on max.
If any other connections are missing, C3 is backwards, or your pot wiper is damaged, it would always be at zero.
So check the values, check the continuity. Audio probe if necessary.

My dwell didn’t do anything either. I think R8 at 22k is too large. If I bridge it with a wire, i can get runaway feedback. So I’m trying somethink like R8 at 5.6K and the dwell pot at 10k linear.

Back