Spirit Box switch pop

Still getting a noticeable pop on high gain amps with a film box on C2 and a 10k resistor on R7. I have both socketed in case there are other suggestions.

Gotta go back to my original question for this.

Would a relay prevent any noticeable pop?
Any help would be appreciated.

Still getting a noticeable pop on high gain amps with a film box on C2 and a 10k resistor on R7. I have both socketed in case there are other suggestions.

Gotta go back to my original question for this.

Would a relay prevent any noticeable pop?
Any help would be appreciated.

That leads me the LED…if you take it out does it still pop?

That leads me the LED…if you take it out does it still pop?
Yeah it still pops without the LED. Here’s a black screen video (I just set my phone on my desk) demonstrating the sound. On low gain it’s not really noticeable but high gain and it pops out.

I hate to harp on this, but can anyone answer whether a relay switch would help with this? No one has spoken on that as a solution and I’ve read it’s helpful when switch pops are an issue.

Reactions: fig
Is the pop present on the switch, board, or both (does it trace throughout the circuit)?

I hate to harp on this, but can anyone answer whether a relay switch would help with this? No one has spoken on that as a solution and I’ve read it’s helpful when switch pops are an issue.

Unless it's the switch itself causing the noise, using relay bypass might not help, and in some cases could even make it worse.

A relay module that mutes the signal when switching could help but I've heard just as many complaints about the momentary dropout in signal as the switch pop it's trying to correct. It just depends on which one bugs you more. Some are probably better than others, and it likely depends on the circuit you're pairing it with.

A buffered bypass of some sort (Boss / vintage Ibanez style) would probably quieten it right down. (ducks for cover)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the pop present on the switch, board, or both (does it trace throughout the circuit)?
Not totally sure the best way of testing this, but if I use a probe on the IN (wire to board input) labeled spot on the 3PDT wiring board soldered to my switch, there is no noticeable pop when engaging and disengaging the pedal). If I put the probe on pin 15 of the PT2399 I hear the pop when I engage and disengage the footswitch. If I put it on the OUT (wire to output Jack) I do hear it pop when I engage and disengage.

Unless it's the switch itself causing the noise, using relay bypass might not help, and in some cases could even make it worse.

A relay module that mutes the signal when switching could help but I've heard just as many complaints about the momentary dropout in signal as the switch pop it's trying to correct. It just depends on which one bugs you more. Some are probably better than others, and it likely depends on the circuit you're pairing it with.

A buffered bypass of some sort (Boss / vintage Ibanez style) would probably quieten it right down. (ducks for cover)
I am 100% okay with buffered bypass. Just want an effective way of getting rid of the pop.

Back