Splatty Gnat

DAJE

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I tried a bunch of Ge trannies and ended up with a Polish ASY34 in Q3, which sounds best to me. Tamed the worst of the splatter, the remaining splat is part of the experience and I can live with it. Also I tried a few diodes, mostly Soviet era D9Es and D9Ks, but I ended up preferring the 1N60P from Tayda which may not be a Ge diode at all.

Q1 = P416B, hFE around 70
Q2 = GT308B, hFE around 85
Q3 = ASY34S, hFE around 110

Q1 and 2 have minimal leakage, Q3 had an amount I can't remember but wasn't as high as some others but sounded better.

Non-magical diode, around .3V on my DCA75.

There's a couple of in-progress gutshots, showing my nice blue tanties, ghetto tranny sockets, and the naked pin sockets I used for the diode.

All in all, a pretty easy build except for the usual Germanium fiddlyness.

Does it Fripp? Yes, but Fripp is Fripp and you and I ain't him. A pedal - however nice and possibly very similar to the one he used on early Crimson recordings - will not make you Fripp. At best; a bit Frippy. Which is a good result.

I intend to do a demo, but I won't promise it.

Attachments

• GN01.jpg
    GN01.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 18
  • GN02.jpg
    GN02.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 17
  • GN03.jpg
    GN03.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 19
  • GN05.jpg
    GN05.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 18
  • GN04.jpg
    GN04.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 19
Did you go with the 20cm one for a 125B?
The 20cm ones mean you get full coverage of a 125B, but I've also used smaller ones and used offcuts to fill the gaps, which will work with the 15cm ones depending on what you're trying to achieve. I also use thicker stickers and just trim to the size of the top and sides and leave a gap where the metal is curved. Looks good enough for my needs. If you seek out my build reports there are plenty of examples.

Last edited:
Back