Straightening split shaft pots

Those sleeves must be made of gold and dodo eggs to justify the price :)

Anybody have any alternatives?
Tynulox 1/4"(6.5mm) OD Brass Tube 0.25mm Wall × 300mm Length × 2Pcs, H62 Brass Tubing Seamless Round Tubing https://a.co/d/ceYLRO4

Just need to find a way to cut to size without collapsing/misshaping the walls at all— I’m thinking the easiest way would be to insert a solid 6mm rod inside to prevent deformation while cutting.
Accounting for blade kerf (using a thin jewelers blade), you should be able to get 45 of them from one rod, for a cost of 27¢ per piece. Could probably find the tubing at your local hardware store much cheaper too— not sure tho since it’s not a super common size in terms of diameter/wall-thickness combination

29 cents at SmallBear. I use a lot of those things, I often superglue in Nomex sheet scraps to fill the split shaft slots. I've used JB Weld in the past as well. Still best practice to line the set screw up with the split when feasible though, IMO.

Last edited:
I can't remember who suggested it, but someone demonstrated that cutting down a plastic straw is an effective replacement for the brass sleeves. Of course, you'd have to find a restaurant whose straws were the right size!

Here's an example I found:
8c3sk284duvy.jpg

What MDC said.

Like this:
You know the little tab that you break off to sit the pot flush in the enclosure?

View attachment 35874
That’s the one…

View attachment 35875
It’s a snap…

View attachment 35876
Where’d it go?

View attachment 35877
Bam! Right up the snout of the ol' Spice Weasel!

It just so happens that, in most cases, the little breakaway tab is the perfect size to jam into the split, thus preventing a knob’s set screw from pushing the split together and wrecking the pot right away or through long-term fatigue.

I've jammed it in and it's usually solid without any additional fuss, BUT...

If you're unsure that the little tab won't stay put or you find a pot with a tab that most definitely shifts around in the split (like the one in the above photos), then just add a dab of solder to keep it in place. This one will require a dab of solder, on either/both side(s), not on top, so the severed tab sits flush with the top of the split, allowing the knob to sit all the way down.

Of course, only do this tab-trick for set-screw knobs, the knobs meant for splined split-shafts don't work so well once you solder the tab in.

I rarely use split-shaft pots, and prefer set screw knobs...

I liked the plastic straw idea, you could even pour epoxy down the straw to cement the bits in place.

JB Weld is the answer to everything that WD-40 is not the answer to.
I swear this is true, Orange oil furniture polish works BETTER than WD-40. I had a shaft with a collet that was rusted tight since the 70's. No amount of WD40 would help. I was walking past it one day with the furniture spray in my hand and just squirt it as I walked by. A day later I was walking by and the collet had fallen to the bottom of the shaft!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember exactly the wattage, but there's a kind of fuse which the metal caps fits perfectly knurled shaft pots, I used to do this a lot when I started building pedals

I've had split pots that had one side bent inwards like that before. I slid a guitar pick in the middle and gently pried the bent side out.

Hi, does anyone have any tips for straightening bent legs on a split shaft pot like the one below without them snapping off?

View attachment 44462
I have had these straighten back up & I have seen them snap like carrots.
Try tightening a 3mm or 1/8'' Cable tie Tight at the base right over just above where the slot stops as it is where the weak point is.
Slide ths smallest thinest sharp knife you have down the top of the pot & hope for a good outcome.
If it is a success, Slide a piece of hard plastic to fill out the whole slot & put shrink over it or Brass sleeve.

Bent Shaft Fix.jpg

Back