SOLVED Strange Issue - Input but No Output from volume pot

PangeaDestructor

I'm building a Mas Effects Dark Commotion, schematic here: https://mas-effects.com/files/black-noise-schematic.png

It's the third one I've made, since he sent me extras on accident and told me to keep them. No problem whatsoever with the first two, but I have a really strange problem with this one. I'm audio-probing it, since there's no output, and I have sound going from R18 into the level pot, with wet signal showing up via the probe on leg 3 (input) on that pot. I have no sound coming out of the pot, which I've tried replacing already with another a100k.

Any guesses on what might cause this?

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 17
It sounds like you’ve narrowed down where the problem is. The easiest answer is lug 2 is shorting to ground. I’d start looking at the pot, the out pad on the board, and the out connection with the daughterboard.

I think it’s a short to ground at the BO pad on the main board—but the picture is obscured a bit.

As an aside: There are a few spots that should also be cleaned up. The R8/R21 area looks like there’s a short. There are solder blobs on the board itself that should be removed. The area around the led looks a bit messy too.

I noticed that BO spot when i posted the pic, going to hit that again with the toothbrush in a bit and re-test it. For some reason this board has been really stubborn when it comes to clean up.

That seems to have solved the volume pot issue, although now the distortion/gain pot does nothing and it sounds like that's always dimed. Gonna go over the whole thing with my magnifier this weekend and scrub the crap out of it with iso again.

Back