String gauge what are you using?

SillyOctpuss

After getting my new tele back with the 10-52 strings I requested I was a little concerned the first night I was playing it. It all felt a bit rattly and the strings were a lot floppier than I would like, so I bought some 11s threw them on and they totally transformed the guitar. It suddenly felt like I was expecting it to originally and sounded a lot better too.

I was a little hesitant to try 11s as I use 10s on every other guitar I have including my strat and my other tele. There's no dought though that 10s were just too light on this tele. I wonder of it's the huge U shaped neck?

So what do you all use on your guitars? Do you stick to 1 gauge like I did up until last week or do you put different gauges on different guitars?

Harry Klippton

9s on teles, 10s on Les Pauls, although I was just thinking last night I wanna put 10s on my main tele. Didn't we have a thread about this a few months ago?

Reactions: fig

Big Monk

I use EB Hybrid Slinkys on my Strat and Turbo Slinkys with the 16 swapped for a 17 on my Les Paul.

Harry Klippton

@SillyOctpuss here's a link to the other thread if you're curious. No worries on doubling up! It's easy to miss stuff with so many active participants here

Reactions: fig

SillyOctpuss

@SillyOctpuss here's a link to the other thread if you're curious. No worries on doubling up! It's easy to miss stuff with so many active participants here

Thanks I completely missed that thread

mnemonic

Wow that would definitely be too low in tension for me. What scale length is that on?
25.5”

I do have 11’s on some guitars, but only the ones where the thicker strings sound better on that guitar.

I just think thinner strings tend to sound better, especially for low tunings. I mostly play 7 strings down one step in A-standard (just D-standard with an extra low string), using 10-46 with a 60 for the low A.

Harry Klippton

I find strings will ring out of tune much easier if there's not enough tension and I hit the guitar hard. I'm going to try it on my les paul at rehearsal on Thursday night at band volume
I was doing this in a band too, and we played (probably too) loud. Seems to me like lower string tension gets a better "aoouww" sound when sustaining notes, and I almost always pulled my power chords down while strumming

Feral Feline

My main gigger is .090 — .122

What's really weird is the D is thicker than the A.

I was using a solo set bumped down to regular tuning, don't know the exact gauge, but in millimetres it's roughly 1.1mm — 2.4mm.