Stripping ;)

twebb6778

I hate stripping wire and need a better solution. I'm currently using the crimping / stripping tool like the one below, but it's so bad I tend to use my wire clippers instead.
1605584690533.png
I normally use 26AWG stranded wire and am looking for a tool that doesn't make me want to pull my eyes out. What's everyone using?

I usually use precut prestripped wire. Started using it after I lacerated the tendon in my right thumb. Soldering was tough but stripping wire was impossible, I had no leverage or strength whatsoever in my right hand. Thumb is healed but haven't turned back from prepped wire, it's really convenient and helps keep things neat and consistent.

I have a tray of 2.25" and 4.5" which does the trick for most pedal application. I still have a spool of wire when I need a more specific length or long run, using a generic set of cutters/strippers like these:
14762-Wire_Strippers-01.jpg

I usually use precut prestripped wire. Started using it after I lacerated the tendon in my right thumb. Soldering was tough but stripping wire was impossible, I had no leverage or strength whatsoever in my right hand. Thumb is healed but haven't turned back from prepped wire, it's really convenient and helps keep things neat and consistent.

I have a tray of 2.25" and 4.5" which does the trick for most pedal application. I still have a spool of wire when I need a more specific length or long run, using a generic set of cutters/strippers like these:
View attachment 7756
This is a great idea. I think I will take a some time and cut/strip/tin a pile of wires. What a time saver when it comes to assembly. And something to do when there’s a random hour to kill.

This is a great idea. I think I will take a some time and cut/strip/tin a pile of wires. What a time saver when it comes to assembly. And something to do when there’s a random hour to kill.
Yup, that's what I did for awhile. When I couldn't grip wire cutters I bought them pre-made. But yeah, nice easy task to do yourself between coats of paint or waiting for parts to show up.

I use PTFE wire so the auto strippers don't work for me. If I didn't like PTFE so well, I'd go to the auto strippers.

I was never a fan of auto-strippers, maybe it's because I'm a Lefty. I used hot tweezers at work, they are the best for stripping even the finest wire without nicking the conductor. Kind of expensive for home use. I use a Craftsman stripper, similar to the Klein strippers. Stripping wire can be kind of Zen.

I use a tool much like rmfx's, except without the spring. It works fine except on teflon coated. Nothing works on teflon coated except a hobby knife. But I mainly use PVC coated wire for FX. I'm a righty with the mindset of a lefty.

I like the idea of having a bunch of precut wire ready to go but I'm too anal to actually do it. I have to cut wire to length every time.

I guess stripping can be zen. But for who?

Last edited:
I hate stripping wire and need a better solution. I'm currently using the crimping / stripping tool like the one below, but it's so bad I tend to use my wire clippers instead.
View attachment 7751
I normally use 26AWG stranded wire and am looking for a tool that doesn't make me want to pull my eyes out. What's everyone using?
What works best for me is probably not the best practice but after a lot of practice I’ve become really good at it. I just use my hobby knife and lightly roll it around the insulation against the pad of my thumb. Like I said, not the best idea but I’ve got just the right touch to not nick into the wire.

I use this type you can adjust with the wee thumb wheel never had a problem I'm one of God's people as well, a leftie

Even use it for ribbon cable albeit you lose a bit I found you had to have it hanging over a bit to get a nice cut

Do remember in this vid I'm holding my phone with one hand hence a tad slow but works pretty good if you don't mind stripping more than necessary

Reactions: fig
Back