Sunflower Fuzz

swelchy

Built a Sunflower tonight and dedicated this one @MichaelW ... He gave me a good little batch of transistors to sort through and I finally got around to picking some for a build. My first crack at it I failed and couldn't figure what was wrong so I got another pcb to try... I went with no labels because that's how he rolls. Thanks man this one sounds really thick and even gates a bit. No idea how to really test HFE other than the cheap transistor tester but these came in around 85 for Q1 and 140 for Q2 on the cheap tester....
:ROFLMAO: sunflowerfuzz.jpg sunflowergutz.jpg

That's how I sort and tested them to begin with, with a CCT as Chuck calls them, Cheap Chinese Tester.
One of these days I'm going to invest in a Peak but for now it's close enough for govmint woik.
Absolutely LOVE the graphics! :ROFLMAO:

Sunflower is actually on my list to build. I've already built the SandSpur (BC108 version) but my Ge Purist friend @szukalski recommended the Sunflower hahah....

Since building the Grover drive I've been intrigued with stacking a fuzz into a Zen drive or a TS. You might want to give that a try. Tip, keep the fuzz volume low-ish and the drive pedal higher. Some great "Dover-ish" sounds with more control than the Grover.

The sunflower is nice and forgiving as far as gain and leakage is concerned. Set the external bias to 50% and bias internal to 4.5V on Q2. Then it’s just a matter of finding a pair of transistors which like each other. I found American in Q1 (2N130x) and Russian in Q2 worked well.

Built a Sunflower tonight and dedicated this one @MichaelW ... He gave me a good little batch of transistors to sort through and I finally got around to picking some for a build. My first crack at it I failed and couldn't figure what was wrong so I got another pcb to try... I went with no labels because that's how he rolls. Thanks man this one sounds really thick and even gates a bit. No idea how to really test HFE other than the cheap transistor tester but these came in around 85 for Q1 and 140 for Q2 on the cheap tester....
:ROFLMAO: View attachment 34311View attachment 34312
No sockets? Madlad!
And a 0 ohm resistor on the footswitch!

My Sunflower was my first PedalPCB build and I messed up the wiring royally. It recently stopped working and has been used to practice desoldering. The transistors went back into the stash and the enclosure now houses a Si Fuzzrite.

I remember being completely underwhelmed by the tone. When I finally bought a TC1 I realized why: the transistors were not in the right gain buckets but much lower. That's when I decided not to trust vendors and just source, test and match my own transistors.

No sockets? Madlad!
And a 0 ohm resistor on the footswitch!

My Sunflower was my first PedalPCB build and I messed up the wiring royally. It recently stopped working and has been used to practice desoldering. The transistors went back into the stash and the enclosure now houses a Si Fuzzrite.

I remember being completely underwhelmed by the tone. When I finally bought a TC1 I realized why: the transistors were not in the right gain buckets but much lower. That's when I decided not to trust vendors and just source, test and match my own transistors.
They are socketed… Just can’t see from the angle

That's how I sort and tested them to begin with, with a CCT as Chuck calls them, Cheap Chinese Tester.
One of these days I'm going to invest in a Peak but for now it's close enough for govmint woik.
Absolutely LOVE the graphics! :ROFLMAO:

For low leakage transistors, those CCTs are where it’s at.

Since I only use low leakage transistors, I’ve never had the need to upgrade.

Back