Sunflower fuzz

When I turn the sundial ccw the voltage rise. And when I turn cw the voltage drops. Is it normal?

If you read Analogman Sunface tutorial, He says that the AC128 are the worst sounding Germanium in this circuit & he will not use them!

You understand that -8.46v is around the correct voltage, This is a pnp circuit with reverse voltage positive Ground with a Voltage converter so you can use a negative ground Power supply & Daisy chain it.

What voltages are you getting on the other Transistor?

I checked again with the other transistors, its -4,5 least and they sound better than ac128s. Guess I'll buy some nkt 275s soon. But now it souds better after hearing ac128s. Thanks again.

Can I use nkt 275 red dots with this build?

or this one?

I've got a125s but I wonder how nkt275s sound.

Last edited:
Can I use nkt 275 red dots with this build?

or this one?

I've got a125s but I wonder how nkt275s sound.
I'd focus less on the model number and more on the hFE and leakage, which are the biggest factors for how your fuzz face will actually sound. Many, if not most of the NKT 275s you'll find on eBay et al. are fakes. Even if you do find a real pair, it's highly likely that they are out of spec. Due to their popularity in fuzz face builds over the past few decades, what little stock remains has already been picked over by builders, and you're just seeing the rejects. I had great luck with Japanese transistors like these in my fuzz face builds—cheap, low noise, and in spec for gain and leakage. They clean up nicely and otherwise sound and behave exactly as a fuzz face should.

I'd focus less on the model number and more on the hFE and leakage, which are the biggest factors for how your fuzz face will actually sound. Many, if not most of the NKT 275s you'll find on eBay et al. are fakes. Even if you do find a real pair, it's highly likely that they are out of spec. Due to their popularity in fuzz face builds over the past few decades, what little stock remains has already been picked over by builders, and you're just seeing the rejects. I had great luck with Japanese transistors like these in my fuzz face builds—cheap, low noise, and in spec for gain and leakage. They clean up nicely and otherwise sound and behave exactly as a fuzz face should.
^^THIS^^
Electrons don't care about the ink on the package and there is no magic, for magic isn't real. Mojo is marketing and almost always inferior. Literally any pnp transistor will "work" in there. Find the gain and leakage and bias that delivers the results you want. The brand doesn't impact the ultimate sound, the specific qualities of the actual part do. Measure, socket, and test.
*and for comparison, I pay around $0.15 USD for NOS pnp germaniums in the same spec as the 275's listed above.

Also agree. A lot of us have been burned by buying fakes from eBay. I'll happily pay a bit more and buy a matched set from Smallbear (btw, still cheaper than that Reverb link). They have all kinds of choices for germaniums, matched, tested lots, untested lots, etc... I've built lots of picky GE fuzzes using their matched sets, none of which were NKT275's or other "mojo unobtainium", and all sounded fantastic.

I agree with all of you. It was just a question but after thinking about it that’s right. What sounds right to my ears is ok. I’ll check out smallbear! Thanks a lot.

I agree with all of you. It was just a question but after thinking about it that’s right. What sounds right to my ears is ok. I’ll check out smallbear! Thanks a lot.
Did you ever get your build bias correctly ? I just got done building 2 of them and like you I couldn't get the right voltages. I would suggest to try out what I did, socket r2 and r3, use a jumper on r3 and place your bias pot knob on the pedal to noon and try to get 4.5v on the collector via the bias trimpot. I also had to change r2 to 15k to get the 0.7v needed for the collector of q1 and base of q2. Now it sounds much better !

I basically used the fuzz face voltages from electrosmash, I also used a standard boss 9v power supply and my guess this and the charge pump maybe screwing up the voltages on my builds

I also tried soooooo many different ge transistor before that .... Low gain, high gain, no leakage, mid to high leakages and it didn't matter I couldn't get it bias :/

Back