Sunspur biasing question

Popnfreshbass

So I’m looking into building this pedal as I can easily get the BC108’s from tayda. Looking over the diagram, it has an external and internal b5k bias pot. In the diagram they are run in series. I know some sunfaces have the external bias knob and some have an internal trimpot instead but didn’t think any had both. Is this so
You can set the internal to 5v and then have the external one to shape tone on the fly? And could you use a single 10k trim pot instead and jumper the external pot solder points, freeing up some space on the the enclosure for graphics?

Yes you can definitely omit and jumper the pot and use an internal trimmer or visa versa I usually go for a 20K trimmer just to make sure I've enough resistance to bias it to around 4.5v

With silicon transistors not being temperature sensitive or leaky the man himself says the sundial isn't really needed for the silicon version

But this board gives you options if you want to use NPN germaniums or mod it for PNP etc

I'd personally stick a higher resistance trimmer in it and try the pot to see if I liked it first then if not easy to remove and jumper it without having to change the trimmer

Back