Super Heterodyne Receiver

giovanni

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
This build went very smooth until I started populating switches and pots. First I messed up the breakout board (I soldered it upside down) and had to desolder it which was a bit of a pain and I was worried that one of the traces had lifted. Luckily it was fine. Second, I didn't check the switch heights so it took me a while to realize that I needed to remove the extra nut from the spdt switches (not from the dpdt one tho!) so that the rotary switches would reach the same height as the spdts (see thread in troubleshooting). Once that was done, I also realized that the dpdt hole was a bit off so I had to file it. Not a big deal but it's been a bit frustrating to iterate on this. Another thing I found a bit annoying was that two of the ICs were slightly oversize and bumped against the box caps above them, so I had to bend the caps a bit to get them to fit.

However, the build pain was worth it! This pedal sounds insane with its crazy harmonizing options. I played it for barely half a hour and I am impressed. Very much fun!

IMG_9581.jpg

IMG_9574.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9575.jpg
    IMG_9575.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Do you hear ticking when the oscillator knob is turned up and everything is quiet? A while back there was someone else complaining about the same thing:

I've been reading Chuck's posts related to LFOs and Integrator-schmitt trigger oscillators:

It seems like it could be related, but things are a bit different in the SHR than in the pedals he suggested fixes for. I've just started using an audio probe to try and figure out where it's coming from. I haven't had time to write up what I've figured out so far. I'm not sure if throwing a cap in the right place is all that might be required here or not. I'm still tinkering.

Back