Supersonic Fuzz Gun + Octave Fuzz

phi1

Here's a fun vero build that I worked up for a guy who contacted me based on a CL thread for some pedals I was selling. The left stomp is for a DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun type circuit, and the right stomp is for a Bazz Fuss into Green Ringer (both BF and GR on together).

The original concept was to build something like the Fuzz Gun (SFG), but with some uniqueness. My idea was to have the SFG on one stomp sw, and the other stomp toggle a green ringer (dirty) octave up circuit to follow the SFG. Turned out that I didn't like the sound of the GR after the SFG, so I made the 2nd stomp be a Bazz Fuss into Green Ringer, so a totally separate fuzz (the Bazz Fuss vero is between the stomp switches).

I originally was gonna have an osc knob (instead of the original switch), since the GR doesn't need any knobs. Then when I switched to the BF->GR design, I used that knob as a vol for the BF->GR side. After talking to the guy, we just omitted the oscillation feature to keep the clean, symmetrical 6 knob layout with no switches.

The tagboard and FSB pages have quite a bit of discussion regarding the transistors. Based on reading there and the Fuzzdog pcb build docs, I went with Q1&Q2=2N5088, and Q3=MPSA13. I experimented with others that folks had mentioned, but these seemed to work well.

Once while experimenting with transistors, I accidentally installed the MPSA13 with C&E reversed. It sounded pretty cool, more wild and unpredictable, but with less definition. I wanted to keep an option for that mode, so I made up the little dip sw daughter board. Only 4 dips would have been needed to switch C&E, but 8 is what I had handy. It could also be done with a DPDT toggle, but the guy said internal is fine.

Attachments

• SFG.jpg
    SFG.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 16
  • SFG gut.jpg
    SFG gut.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 17
  • SFG iso.jpg
    SFG iso.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 16
Back