"System Overdrive" (Systech Overdrive)...

Coda

Let me preface this by saying that if anyone came here looking for a review of a nice, simple overdrive (transparent or otherwise), you will be disappointed. The Systech Overdrive is an OD in the way that a cardboard box is a rocket ship. This is a fuzz pedal. The fuzz itself is interesting; its vintage-flavored...buzzy, and not too forgiving with complex chords (anything more that two fingers, I suppose). However, the character is a little cold and sterile, but not in a bad way. Its like when they first started using digital to sound like analog. It was pretty close...but something was off (like with the pod people). The EQ control isn't an EQ at all, but a filter. The gimmick of this pedal is that the filter gives you oodles of cocked-wah flavors. Its way more complex than just cocking a wah, though. As you can hear in the clip, it can get pretty crazy.

I've never been one to put too much effort into artwork. I experimented with tape for this one. Also, the humidity ruined the paint a little, but its not a big deal. The clip is divided into three sections, each introduced by a few clean chords. The only thing changed for each section was the position of the distortion knob (starts at 9 o'clock, then noon, then maxed). For each section, the eq was set to min, then 9 o'clock, then noon, then 3 o'clock, then max.

2D4B9CA9-24CD-481F-8D7F-D0C5482E82CA.jpeg

The low distortion settings are a bit useless. For me the pedal shines with the distortion control beyond noon. Maxed out, all sorts of harmonics are pulled from the ether...especially at the higher EQ settings.

Compared to the Systech Harmonic Energizer, I would say this pedal is similar, but slightly different. I imagine it was designed after the HE, since it basically does one thing a HE is good at. With the HE, its all about the filter, and a such, you can get more out of it depending on where it is in the chain, what you play into it/it into, etc. The OD is more simple, and less complicated.

Good write up, and I love the demo. I love how it just kept getting a little wackier and wackier with each section. The sound you were getting at about 2:45 was pretty awesome.

Great work on the build!

At 2:24, it really gets that Systech Harmonic Energizer (Zapper PCB here) vibe.

Now I wonder putting one after the other, engaged...

2:25 has really strong Baby Snakes vibes, and it just so happens that Frank used the HE on the rhythm tracks of that tune— never made a Systech Overdrive clone, but hearing it now, it definitely has a lot in common with the HE

2:25 has really strong Baby Snakes vibes, and it just so happens that Frank used the HE on the rhythm tracks of that tune— never made a Systech Overdrive clone, but hearing it now, it definitely has a lot in common with the HE
I respect Frank Zappa tremendously. But other than Hot Rats (which I really like), I have never heard anything that blew my socks off…or even loosened my shoe laces. I’ll admit that I’ve never really dove too much in…it’s one hell of a pool.

I respect Frank Zappa tremendously. But other than Hot Rats (which I really like), I have never heard anything that blew my socks off…or even loosened my shoe laces. I’ll admit that I’ve never really dove too much in…it’s one hell of a pool.
What are your top 5 favorite albums or artists of all time? I can suggest you a Zappa album or two that you may like ;)

Top 5 artists/albums is a very tall order. My preferences change like the seasons. My tastes tend toward jazz/rock/prog/post-punk/grunge/alt-pop/psych/brit-invasion…and any combination thereof.

Top 5 artists/albums is a very tall order. My preferences change like the seasons. My tastes tend toward jazz/rock/prog/post-punk/grunge/alt-pop/psych/brit-invasion…and any combination thereof.
I’ll assume that you’ve already heard some of the most common recommendations (ie; Inca Roads, Montana, Cosmik Debris, Dancing Fool, etc) so I won’t reiterate any of those.
For starters, I’d give the medley of Let’s Make the Water Turn Black/Harry You’re A Beast/Orange County Lumber Truck I/Oh No/Orange County Lumber Truck II from the “Ahead of Their Time” album— a fantastic fusion band during that lineup, with the performance being not unlike that of the 1972/73 lineup (4-5 years later) of Soft Machine.
For a more pop-oriented rock track, check out City of Lites— featuring future King Crimson frontman Adrian Belew, in what is one of the best vocal performance of his entire career.

also give “We Are Not Alone”, “Mom and Dad”, and “Electric Aunt Jemima”, and “Who Are The Brain Police” each a listen when you get a chance.

Last edited:
I just died a bit.

Also, an update: I played the OD with humbuckers today. Tons of sustain. With the distortion control maxed, I could hold a note, put the guitar down, go have a sandwich, come back, and the note would still be playing.

Why? I said I really like Hot Rats. I also like Waka/Jawaka, and The Grand Wazoo.
I'm a huge Zappa fan. So on the current 119 official releases, I got no skipping album. Even Synclavier stuff.

Sure Playground Psychotics with all those "touring dialogs" between songs isn't played as much as Studio Tan or Joe's Garage... ;)

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I just tried to be a bit funny.

HUGE Thanks for the demo Coda!
Liked it at 1:33, then...
Loved it when it hit a certain point ... "oh look, that's the exact spot Dali & BricksnBeatles time-checked, 2:24!"

I think on bass, whatever settings were at 2:40 will be right in my wheelhouse; also the cocked-wah sounds on bass (may have to blend in some clean to keep the lows, but okay-lahhh...).

Stoked to build this!

I'm a huge Zappa fan. So on the current 119 official releases, I got no skipping album. Even Synclavier stuff.
Same here. Haven’t gotten ahold of Halloween 81 yet, but other than that and a physical copy of 200 Motels, I think I have just about all of the numbered official releases on at least one format or another, and around 70 other assorted official releases (singles, RSD exclusives, compilations, etc) and 100 or so bootlegs (though those are mostly digital). Seeing as today was RSD drop #2, it’s worth noting that I was super bummed that we haven’t had a proper Zappa RSD release since Black Friday of 2019 (the YCDTOSA sampler was pretty much an identical reissue of a previous release, down to the vinyl color and packaging)

Chuck this is likely directed at you but Kevin over at Aion says there's no way to change the Q on the filter. Is there a work-around? It would be nice to reign in the tight filter focus and spread it out a bit. I'd hate to lose the wacko qualities of this pedal but would be nice to soften it up a bit.

I agree, too, the low gain ranges are pretty "meh" on this thing but man does it nail the Zappa sound.

I’ll assume that you’ve already heard some of the most common recommendations (ie; Inca Roads, Montana, Cosmik Debris, Dancing Fool, etc) so I won’t reiterate any of those.
For starters, I’d give the medley of Let’s Make the Water Turn Black/Harry You’re A Beast/Orange County Lumber Truck I/Oh No/Orange County Lumber Truck II from the “Ahead of Their Time” album— a fantastic fusion band during that lineup, with the performance being not unlike that of the 1972/73 lineup (4-5 years later) of Soft Machine.
For a more pop-oriented rock track, check out City of Lites— featuring future King Crimson frontman Adrian Belew, in what is one of the best vocal performance of his entire career.

also give “We Are Not Alone”, “Mom and Dad”, and “Electric Aunt Jemima”, and “Who Are The Brain Police” each a listen when you get a chance.
I just died a bit.
You know…I’m starting to get it…

Back