Tayda Les Lius

e_man_89

Built one of these and really like the way it sounds! Very good alone and pushed with another overdrive.

One issue I've found is a high pitched whine from the pedal especially if boosted. I can lower the gain and it helps but it does somewhat compromise the pedals ideal settings.

Is there some way to help eliminate or minimize the noise?

I'm already running a separate power supply and it helped somewhat.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Built one of these and really like the way it sounds! Very good alone and pushed with another overdrive.

One issue I've found is a high pitched whine from the pedal especially if boosted. I can lower the gain and it helps but it does somewhat compromise the pedals ideal settings.

Is there some way to help eliminate or minimize the noise?

I'm already running a separate power supply and it helped somewhat.

Thanks for any help or advice.
I don't think it should whine. I built one a while back on stripboard and I don't recall any issues.

Check that the caps are all soldered well (no cold joints).

Which transistor did you use? Try a pn3565 or 2n3904 if you have one. Will bring the gain down, and they also sound good in this circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

The BOM called for a 2n5088. That's what I used. I have some 2n3904's, so I might give one a try. I'll also check my solder joints.

I'm concerned lowering the gain might change the "voice" of the pedal but I'll give it a try.

Where did you get your stripboard layout?

Where did you get your stripboard layout?
Guitar FX Layouts: Madbean LaVache (tagboardeffects.blogspot.com)

Technically what I built is a Lavache, but it is Madbean's version of Les Lius. If you read the Madbeans docs on this build, he recommends the 2n3565:

"The stock transistor in the Les LiusTM is the 2n5088. The suggested replacement (2n3565) was found to be more responsive to dynamics and pick attack and is the best choice for this circuit."​

I recently breadboarded a COT50 (another variant of this circuit that also uses a 2n5088) and tried a few transistors, including the pn3565, 2n5088, 2n3904 and BD139. I liked the 2n3904, but ended up using a BD139 when I boxed it, so don't be afraid to experiment.

It helps if you socketed the transistor.

I think I did, I'll have to open it up to be sure. Thanks for the info, I'll give this a try this weekend.

I'm also gonna check on this Lavache.

Thanks again.

Back