Teach Me About Speakers

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
I’m considering building a small speaker cabinet for breadboarding to test a circuit to see that it passes signal. Is this necessary? No. I can pick up my board, walk it over to my amp, plug it in. I’m assuming I’ll need to build a small amp so I can hear some sort of signal. Does anyone have any recommendations for speaker size and impedance?

I’m considering building a small speaker cabinet for breadboarding to test a circuit to see that it passes signal. Is this necessary? No. I can pick up my board, walk it over to my amp, plug it in. I’m assuming I’ll need to build a small amp so I can hear some sort of signal. Does anyone have any recommendations for speaker size and impedance?
I made something exactly like this with an LM386 and one of these speakers https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/miniature-speaker-2-diameter/

I'm working on the Fig Labs Thing-Doer. It's a compete pedal test unit...including, but not limited to...

Audio Input
Bluetooth
Builtin wave gen. (sq. or sine...preset)
1/4" phono (guitar or looper)

Audio Output
Bluetooth
Builtin amplifier / speaker
1/4" phono (to external amp -auto-switch when inserted)
Headphone out

Audio Probe Features
Banana plug connector
Voltage/Audio signal (selectable)

Onboard Amp Features
Vol/Gain/Tone/
Passthrough (BT speaker mode)

DUT Connections
1/4" IN / OUT
Power connector
9/18 volt selectable

I'm working on the Fig Labs Thing-Doer. It's a compete pedal test unit...including, but not limited to...

Audio Input
Bluetooth
Builtin wave gen. (sq. or sine...preset)
1/4" phono (guitar or looper)

Audio Output
Bluetooth
Builtin amplifier / speaker
1/4" phono (to external amp -auto-switch when inserted)
Headphone out

Audio Probe Features
Banana plug connector
Voltage/Audio signal (selectable)

Onboard Amp Features
Vol/Gain/Tone/
Passthrough (BT speaker mode)

DUT Connections
1/4" IN / OUT
Power connector
9/18 volt selectable
The Bluetooth and output switch components are a great idea! I have no idea how they work, but I’m sure google could help me out

Reactions: fig
This is what I built originally...it's a Rubyish amp with a bluetooth interface.

VG9reBJ.jpg

I might have some of those bluetooth boards if you want to experiment (I think some are transceivers, so you can use them for both input/output. I would suggest a cheap prebuilt power amp board. They have decent noise-filtering, and you can build a preamp/tone stage to fill it in.

Back