Terrarium TL072 question

kshep

I've been doing some research on guitar input buffers while playing around with the Daisy Seed so that I can use a seed as a guitar pedal. I came across the Terrarium schematics and was using that as an example for the input buffer powered by the TL072 opamp. However, I see that schematic is powering the TL072 with 5v, and have seen some articles out there suggesting that op amp should typically be powered at a higher voltage (like 9v). So that gave me pause about basing my circuit on the Terrarium schematic, and I found that the Daisy Petal circuit actually uses an MCP6004, which is an op amp that seems to be better suited for 5v operation. I'm just curious if the TL072 used in the Terrarium is going to be the source of any problems with that circuit?

If I had to take a guess, I would say the daisy pedal uses the mcp6004 due to cost as from what I can tell the 072 has much better performance such as a higher slew rate. Whats the point of digital if you aren’t going to get the cleanest most accurate signal possible? I might even be inclined to look at the 082 just for giggles. But I’m by no means an opamp guru or even that knowledgeable to begin with.

Back