Test Modules

Big Monk

So I’ve been having issues with breadboarding.

When I got back into the hobby I placed a mass order of nearly every value of resistor, cap, etc. to breadboard with.

Problem is the leads on the 1/8w and 1/4w resistors from Tayda are flimsy and I’ve had inconsistent results on my previous breadboard and now the Protoboard.

I had a few of the older revisions of the Universal Fuzz boards left so I fashioned up a test rig that can be affixed to the Protoboard and interface with test leads:

D42D95DD-9733-4479-9773-8CFCD1287B7C.jpeg

The side advantage is that I now have a ready made Fuzz Face module.

I’ve also had issues with a “stiff” breadboard. The first one I had basically wouldn’t accept ANY lead without excessive force. Obviously I had to replace it so I went the Tayda route.

On my protoboard I tend to use the top board more often so all new “stiffness” has gone away from pure use. The bottom board is still not as forgiving, so I push them in by grabbing the leads with a pair of Tayda tweezers about a quarter inch from the hole and guide them in. Totally worth the $.60 or whatever I paid for them instead of countless bent leads on my parts.

Capacitors are much better with their lead thickness except those tiny disc ones.

I’ve also had issues with a “stiff” breadboard. The first one I had basically wouldn’t accept ANY lead without excessive force. Obviously I had to replace it so I went the Tayda route.

On my protoboard I tend to use the top board more often so all new “stiffness” has gone away from pure use. The bottom board is still not as forgiving, so I push them in by grabbing the leads with a pair of Tayda tweezers about a quarter inch from the hole and guide them in. Totally worth the $.60 or whatever I paid for them instead of countless bent leads on my parts.

Capacitors are much better with their lead thickness except those tiny disc ones.

This isn’t a stiffness issue. I wish it was.

The leads simply aren’t making consistent contact and I’m getting erratic performance.

This isn’t a stiffness issue. I wish it was.

The leads simply aren’t making consistent contact and I’m getting erratic performance.
Sounds like you need a new one then. I sometimes have issues with leads not in all the way or different leads are touching each other. Incidentally I really don’t like breadboarding with BC107/108/109s because of the metal enclosure. Poking and prodding a board irks me too

Sounds like you need a new one then. I sometimes have issues with leads not in all the way or different leads are touching each other. Incidentally I really don’t like breadboarding with BC107/108/109s because of the metal enclosure. Poking and prodding a board irks me too

It's a brand new breadboard. I'm gonna see how the test module works out, at least for the near term so I can hammer out this design and then see what my options are moving forward when I breadboard the Univibe.

I have been so tempted to embrace my insanity and just make a breadboard pcb out of sip sockets for the reasons everyone’s talking about. If it’s not the leads its the tension of the socket but which leads and which socket, it gets so frustrating so fast

Back