That4301 IC

Paradox916

Been camping on this little guy for a while... last of the Mohicans right there buddy (or maybe Bigfoot)... got to try and make this one a little extra special... external mounted range switch? or no It’s all so getting the stomp with the led and not drilling the enclosure for the 5mm. 220B13C1-79E6-4023-8E12-5009A70145AF.jpeg

Paradox916

So this a shameless [bump] and a legitimate question because I’m indecisive. I’m on the fence with making the range switch external. What do you guys think? Yes? No? I have mini toggles laying around but I also thought about looking for a mini rocker switch or the idea even popped in my head for a second to add a stomp to it. which seems a little ridiculous just for the sake of laziness that I wouldn’t want to expend the energy to bend over and flip a switch 🤣... anyone have any trick suggestions?

Bricksnbeatles

So this a shameless [bump] and a legitimate question because I’m indecisive. I’m on the fence with making the range switch external. What do you guys think? Yes? No? I have mini toggles laying around but I also thought about looking for a mini rocker switch or the idea even popped in my head for a second to add a stomp to it. which seems a little ridiculous just for the sake of laziness that I wouldn’t want to expend the energy to bend over and flip a switch 🤣... anyone have any trick suggestions?
I’m still looking for a legit SOT 4301 chip, so it’ll be a while before I can build it (plus I still need to design graphics for a Tayda print), but my plan is to have it as an externally mounted switch as well— seems too useful of a feature to have it completely inaccessible on a pedalboard

Paradox916

From what I understand ( don’t quote me on it. )I think PedalPCB is working on a version that will use the 4305 if you don’t end up finding one. Hopefully you do. And I agree, I left the back off my first muzzle so I could flip the range switch now and again. Which I do more than I thought I would just because I’m a tone chaser.

Kroars

Threads a few months old but just in case:

A little pricey, but if you really want one. I know, I know eBay and all, but: US seller, 100% positive feedback and even a three year protection plan for $3.95. This is the only one that I’ve seen that’s not from China and at least looks legit.

Feral Feline

I think that's the same eekBay saler that I got mine from; after shipping it was $47 or $50... I got the "last one" so I'm guessin' if it is the same seller, he/she/they has/ve a large-ish stash and are keeping the price up by/for selling a few at a time.

Hate to see a good PCB go to waste though, even if it makes for a very expensive DIY pedal.

@Paradox916 — I'm definitely going external on the range switch; what are your thoughts on it now, toggle or stomper?

Kroars

I think that's the same eekBay saler that I got mine from; after shipping it was $47 or $50... I got the "last one" so I'm guessin' if it is the same seller, he/she/they has/ve a large-ish stash and are keeping the price up by/for selling a few at a time.

Hate to see a good PCB go to waste though, even if it makes for a very expensive DIY pedal.

@Paradox916 — I'm definitely going external on the range switch; what are your thoughts on it now, toggle or stomper?

At least it’s less expensive than the Zuul, and you get to build it too! :)

Screw it, I bought one. I hate when I talk myself into things…. 1 left in his inventory (for now anyway).

Harry Klippton

THAT4301 reminds me...I need to check into the FV-1 programming, on the off chance they rematerialize at some point, it might be fun. Then again, it might be too much like work. We shall see!
I wanted to get the fv-1 development board but that USB controller chip seems harder to get than an fv-1?

Paradox916

The external switch is definitely worth doing a stomp would be a tight squeeze having some kind of indication (like switch position) is important to me so a stomp with LEDs would be cool but damn that would be TIGHT squeeze... and would only be helpful in situations where you are really clamping down on your signal but want to open up the threshold for sustain on the fly... say doing Djenty type high gain chugging then want to solo... Some sort of scenario like that then it would be very useful to have a stomp on the range..... I don’t play live anymore so the toggle is good enough for me.

Bricksnbeatles

Because i have the SMD muzzle PCB and haven’t been able to find a reputable source for an SMD 4301 anywhere. Unfortunately it’s not really possible to do without it being a total pain, so I’ll just have to keep hoping to find a non-sketchy listing somewhere within the next few years 😂

fig

If only it was possible to adapt the 4305 to the SMD 4301 footprint :(

I have 4-4305s and a Dev board on order.

I wanted to get the fv-1 development board but that USB controller chip seems harder to get than an fv-1?
I have one on a programmer board. I can breadboard the rest to work up a circuit. I also thought about trying a rework station to remove one, short of sourcing some.