THAT4305/FXCore/FV-1

Interesting

Do a ducking pumpin side chain compressor.......

My wallets out already

Looks like I've got all the needed intel...I'll do some reading, thanks! 😃

Lets put a donk on it

Last edited:
Interesting

Do a ducking pumpin side chain compressor.......

My wallets out already
The THAT4305 dev board and info packet arrived today from Mouser....in case anyone has an interest in what you get...

j8XT6lC.jpg

sYZ8bBx.jpg

j3ONkoC.jpg

I'm reading up on the side-chaining feature. 😎

Are those the FXcore that you ordered on the bubble back in the top left?
Yes sir. Ohhh so why did I post it here? Gotcha. No idea....Too many projects, not enough brain cells.
The dev board seems good for testing features and programming in an end-user environment, but as others have noted, not a realistic framework for a pedal. The PedalPCB FV-1 dev board bridges that gap. I'm not all that interested in the coding of any of these chips in the sense of creativity. I am interested in the viability of these cheeps in terms of DIY, as well as the challenges they present.

Edit: Challenge #1 being finally editing all the typos in this post. sheesh!

Last edited:
Someone walk me off this ledge or go on and give me a shove...

THIS looks stupid-simple.....

Solder paste is quite literally that simple to use. For stuff where there’s only SMD on one side of the board you can even use a toaster oven instead of a dedicated hot air station if you’re careful. That’s actually the only method in which I’ve used solder paste myself (hot air stations are expensive!) and it worked quite well— I used the same toaster that I use for curing paint and stabilizing resin. Just don’t use anything you actually put food in ;)

Reactions: fig
Solder paste is quite literally that simple to use. For stuff where there’s only SMD on one side of the board you can even use a toaster oven instead of a dedicated hot air station if you’re careful. That’s actually the only method in which I’ve used solder paste myself (hot air stations are expensive!) and it worked quite well— I used the same toaster that I use for curing paint and stabilizing resin. Just don’t use anything you actually put food in ;)
My sole attempt at curing paint in my toaster oven did not yield the results I was hoping for. Got any pointers Nick?

• Wow
Reactions: fig
hot air stations are expensive!
My hot air station was only $60. There are expensive stations out there, but you don't need fancy to get the job done. When I do whole boards with stencil and paste I use my $200 reflow oven (also a bargain if you're doing a lot of SMD), but for two or three components on a board I'll use the hot air station.

With regards to FXCore I've been impressed with the sound quality and options compared to FV-1, but I haven't had a chance to actually do anything DIY with FXCore since the external ADC/DAC I was looking at got hit by the semiconductor shortage. I know Alexander uses it in one of his new pedals, and I saw one guy do a build with one on another forum, but that's all I've seen of FXCore in the wild.

My hot air station was only $60. There are expensive stations out there, but you don't need fancy to get the job done. When I do whole boards with stencil and paste I use my $200 reflow oven (also a bargain if you're doing a lot of SMD), but for two or three components on a board I'll use the hot air station.

With regards to FXCore I've been impressed with the sound quality and options compared to FV-1, but I haven't had a chance to actually do anything DIY with FXCore since the external ADC/DAC I was looking at got hit by the semiconductor shortage. I know Alexander uses it in one of his new pedals, and I saw one guy do a build with one on another forum, but that's all I've seen of FXCore in the wild.
Absolutely. The M8000s are rare...I have a couple of CS5368s I hope will play along nicely. CabinTech has some M9000s.

Back