DEMO The Boomstick - PCB Guitar Mania Solid Metal (AmpTweaker TightMetal)

This post contains an audio or video demo

yazooligan

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Listen up, you primitive screwheads. This, is my Boomstick.

0D0DEC7D-499E-4A17-800A-7562189ADF18.jpeg

E8EA90B6-44C6-43C4-A6FF-B5A01A977750.jpeg

The PCB took just over a month to arrive but given world events I’m not really complaining. Other than that the build came together pretty quick and easy. I had a TightMetal for a while and the tone is dead-on, if not better. The gate is a nice feature to have, and even at the lowest gain setting it sounds great. Having the TightRock mode on a switch is awesome and I get a lot of mileage out of that setting too. The Thrash mode is cool but I like the stock setting a bit more.

EDIT:
I got a question from another user about whether to use a 1.5k or 15k resistor for R9, and I recorded an A/B test of the two.

Last edited:

View attachment 35657

The PCB took just over a month to arrive but given world events I’m not really complaining. Other than that the build came together pretty quick and easy. I had a TightMetal for a while and the tone is dead-on, if not better. The gate is a nice feature to have, and even at the lowest gain setting it sounds great. Having the TightRock mode on a switch is awesome and I get a lot of mileage out of that setting too. The Thrash mode is cool but I like the stock setting a bit more.
Its oozing awesomeness!!!!! What a build dude! But por favor gutshots please? :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: Those knobs are incredible btw! Make em yourself?
Thanks for the Gutshots!

Nice! I’ve been thinking about laying one out, myself. I’m intrigued with a gate in the circuit.

Wow! Awesome artwork! I love it!
Hard to say on the A/B test. I kibda feel like more things sound like B out there, so I would go with A.
Both sound great.
Fantastic work!

View attachment 35657

View attachment 35658

EDIT:
I got a question from another user about whether to use a 1.5k or 15k resistor for R9, and I recorded an A/B test of the two.

Looks and sounds amazing! I actually built a couple of these (side by side) and was very underwhelmed with the final product on both. I tried both of the recommend resistors for R9, but just ended shelving them because I thought something was wrong with the trace. Yours sounded great! Makes me want to dust them off and revisit them. I didn’t see any revisions to the build docs and your pcb looks just like I remembered.

Edit: found a gut shot of one that I built. So strange, it sounded nothing like yours. It didn’t have really any “bite” to it at all. Almost seemed a little woofy and bassy.

Attachments

• 8041AF48-02E4-48C0-B130-11CE907D4C20.jpeg
    8041AF48-02E4-48C0-B130-11CE907D4C20.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 14
On OP's pic the PCB says version 1.1. On your pic it doesn't. I boxed up a 1.1 yesterday and it shreds. Maybe ask PCB Mania for the differences between the versions? Maybe there's an easy way to fix. Or maybe to get a refund at least.

Back