The Breadboard Chronicles: Gettin’ Fuzzy

Big Monk

So I’ve been having fun lately not committing to any circuit in particular and videoing myself playing poorly through them.

Figured id post some of them here.

Ge Fuzz Face:

EDIT: I should probably comment on the setup and pedal. I’ll do this as a general rule in future videos.

AMP - Single Ended EL84 with Drive control (Pot as voltage divider with wiper to traditional resistor to ground and grid stopper on EL84. Acts to reduce signal into EL84), Volume, and Negative Feedback circuit with variable NFB control and Presence. Settings were as follows:

Drive = 1:30
Volume = 11:00
NFB = 2:00 (~40k ohm Feedback)
Presence = 5:00

“Pedal” - Fairly “bog standard” Ge Fuzz Face. Using two General Electric 2N169s. Both low leakage with Q1 = 70 hFE and Q2 = 100 hFE. Resistor values are standard except Q1cR is 47k to bump up Q2c to around 5.5 vDC. Caps are tweaked for humbuckers with input at 0.1 uf and Ce = 10 uf.

There is a touch of delay from my Valeton delay modeler.

Last edited:

Big Monk

Here is a video I did right before the one above. Shows some of the clean tones with the volume rolled down and then some “Mountain Jam” riffing with more feedback:

Reactions: fig

Big Monk

Some Zeppelin fun before shipping this off to it's new owner:

This one is a very fun one to play. Great sustain and cleanup which is helped along by the Pre-Gain control. Definitely not a vintage style MK II/Supa but ticks all the boxes.

If I didn’t feel I had this design down pat, I’d likely keep it. It’s that good. It’s getting shipped tomorrow so this was my last hurrah with it!

Big Monk

Currently have a Fuzz Face on the breadboard. I'm using NOS Amperex Silicons. 120 hFE for Q1 and 240 hFE for Q2. I need to mess with some frequency shaping tonight and see if i can get the cleanup a little neater.

Big Monk

Dang, some nice tones in there and not in the typical fuzz sense. Very cool.

I’ve found that I like to use the more refined fuzzes, the Fuzz Face and Tonebender Mk II, as harmonically rich overdrives.

There are wilder fuzzes out there, and at high Attack and Fuzz settings the FF and TB will get very fuzzy, but I prefer to leave the fuzz freak outs to the truly fuzzy ones.