The Ethics of Selling Clones

twebb6778

So I've got a few pedals listed on Reverb at the moment. I always do original artwork and come up with a name, but for transparency indicate that it's a clone and where I get the pcb from.

I've recently received an email from Reverb telling me that I can't indicate that one of my listings is an OCD clone, because OCD is a trademark of Fulltone.

I find this a little strange. I mean, I'm fully aware that it's not my circuit design, but I'm not trying to pass it off as a genuine OCD, it's descriptive so people know what my build is based on. I feel like it would be more shady to pass this off as my own circuit.

Curious to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

It sounds like purely a trademark issue. Fulltone doesn’t want anyone but them using OCD to market a pedal regardless of how much you say it’s a clone. They would rather you find some cheeky clever name for it that sounds somewhat like it.

I feel like most of the pedal industry is artwork and hipster street cred with like 10 to 15% of builders out there actually creating novel concepts and not just tweaking an established circuit

I feel like most of the pedal industry is artwork and hipster street cred with like 10 to 15% of builders out there actually creating novel concepts and not just tweaking an established circuit
So true. Beyond that tons of circuits were created straight off the manufacturers data sheets. That was even the case for early Fender amps I'm told.

So many builders engage in active deception too. "Designed to authentically recreate the response and feel of a Surpo S6420 Thunderbolt!" - turns out to be a one BJT transistor and two clipping diodes.

So true. Beyond that tons of circuits were created straight off the manufacturers data sheets. That was even the case for early Fender amps I'm told.

So many builders engage in active deception too. "Designed to authentically recreate the response and feel of a Surpo S6420 Thunderbolt!" - turns out to be a one BJT transistor and two clipping diodes.
Hah yup it’s all marketing. JHS can run a master class but most of the big ones do it.

See how long you can list a "harmonic percolator" before the asshat that bought that name shuts your listing down.

Ah, the classic ethics discussion.
I have sympathy for builders like Paul Cochrane. Not because people are making clones of the Timmy, but because companies like Vemuram make a clone, put it in a fancy enclosure and charge an absurd amount of money for them.

There's so many clones and mods of pedals out there, its hard to say what is "good" or "bad" ethically. You're not trying to trick people into thinking its a legit OCD, so I don't see any real issues with it... but even if you did, I'd be on your side because Mike Fuller is a terrible person and I hope no one ever buys his pedals again.

I feel like it is bringing great pedals to the masses. Most of the circuits have been copied. I don't say it is an exact clone, but for those who don't have $300 to spend on something that has been around for years.

I am still really new to building, but its really awesome to be able to build clones of discontinued or uber expensive pedals for fairly cheap. I think many people would appreciate being to by them for less than the real thing.

Back