The Forehead of Security-Archibald

thewintersoldier

First build report of the year. First tube build. Thanks to Brian for answering my questions when I had a mishap. Build was pretty straightforward but I had a cap blow on this after a few minutes of power while testing. It took the inductor with it in a puff of smoke. Brain said I could jumper but voltages we're off on the tube in spots. After narrowing it down to V++ I replaced another cap that went with the first one and all was good.
So how does it sound? Very convincing tube like drive, dynamic tube like response hahaha. I will make a short demo clip later today, my daughter's friend spent the night last night and are hanging in my man cave/music room. Sounds pretty good with a negligible difference between 9v and 12v. Powerful EQ or basic EQ. The buffer makes a huge difference, and the bias is fun the mess with. I like the range on the gain knob as well.
This is a uv print and went with John Favreau's Happy Hogan. Such a great character and fits the Archibald/Jeeves pedigree great. Standard 12ax7 I had laying around worked great. Here's to another year of awesome projects!
PXL-20211231-233609175-MP.jpg
PXL-20211231-233651779.jpg

jimilee

First build report of the year. First tube build. Thanks to Brian for answering my questions when I had a mishap. Build was pretty straightforward but I had a cap blow on this after a few minutes of power while testing. It took the inductor with it in a puff of smoke. Brain said I could jumper but voltages we're off on the tube in spots. After narrowing it down to V++ I replaced another cap that went with the first one and all was good.
So how does it sound? Very convincing tube like drive, dynamic tube like response hahaha. I will make a short demo clip later today, my daughter's friend spent the night last night and are hanging in my man cave/music room. Sounds pretty good with a negligible difference between 9v and 12v. Powerful EQ or basic EQ. The buffer makes a huge difference, and the bias is fun the mess with. I like the range on the gain knob as well.
This is a uv print and went with John Favreau's Happy Hogan. Such a great character and fits the Archibald/Jeeves pedigree great. Standard 12ax7 I had laying around worked great. Here's to another year of awesome projects!
PXL-20211231-233609175-MP.jpg
PXL-20211231-233651779.jpg
And it hasn’t been released yet, nice. I want to hear it too. The last tube drive was meh.

Stickman393

Well done!

TH customs has a version of this as well, though that one is their take on it with relay bypass and a Bandaxall EQ. I love the one I built.

I opted for some pretty serious venting on my build, I'm curious how warm the interior of the pedal gets when it's enclosed. Seeing as how these things pull about 3.15 watts (according to the build docs, 350mA x 9vdc), we're looking at a heat load of close to 11 btus per hour. Not a whole hell of a lot, but given the size of the enclosure I can't help but wonder if it could get hot enough in there to effect the lifespan of those electrolytics.

I have a second TH customs board that I kinda wanted to build fully enclosed just so I could shove a thermocouple in there and observe what happens over time.

thewintersoldier

Well done!

TH customs has a version of this as well, though that one is their take on it with relay bypass and a Bandaxall EQ. I love the one I built.

I opted for some pretty serious venting on my build, I'm curious how warm the interior of the pedal gets when it's enclosed. Seeing as how these things pull about 3.15 watts (according to the build docs, 350mA x 9vdc), we're looking at a heat load of close to 11 btus per hour. Not a whole hell of a lot, but given the size of the enclosure I can't help but wonder if it could get hot enough in there to effect the lifespan of those electrolytics.

I have a second TH customs board that I kinda wanted to build fully enclosed just so I could shove a thermocouple in there and observe what happens over time.
I thought about putting some venting holes in both the bottom plate and side/top. I also unplug when I'm done, like a Univibe to preserve bulb life. Just having the unit powered up is heating the tube and as you said it's creating thermal heat. I don't plan on using it all the time but it's worth considering.

Reactions: fig