DEMO The Samurai (Doxie Pre Amp)

This post contains an audio or video demo

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So right off the bat im just going to tell you this thing blew me away. The Doxie is a pre amp based on the Victory V1 Duchess. Which i believe is based around a silverface Fender. I was expecting a clean pre amp i was blown away at how hard this thing can push my blues jr! It has enough gain to get you into overdrive territory. Although i wouldnt quite say it does distortion. Again i was expecting just a clean sounding pre amp but what i got was almost like a hot rodded, tweedish amp sound. Definitely put a grin on my face from ear to ear!

The Build itself was incredibly easy nothing to worry about here! All the Zener diodes this circuit calls for can easily be found at Tayda which is where i got them. Except for the 3.6V Zener that i had to get at SBP. Earlier i came across a problem. The Circuits calls for 2 A25K pots for the BASS and MIDS. I didnt have them so i used a Linear Taper instead for both. The tone controls work flawlessly! Since those pots are only controlling the tone i figured it wasnt a big deal and i wasnt wrong! Theyre very active and will do demo tomorrow to prove so!

As for the design i went with a Samurai. One because of their discipline on the battlefield. A Fender amp doesnt need to scream to be heard. Two when they strike its swift and clean. A Fender amp does its job well. Three A Samurai in all cultures was and is a respected figure. The Fender amp, i think is the most widely accepted amp ever. I think the idea fits this pedal.

All in all 5 out of 5 for me! Again im just blown away at how this circuit performs. Im going to do a demo of it tomorrow showcasing its capabilities! If you were on the ropes about this one i say its going to tear your socks off. It might just replace your current pre amp if youre using one! ;)

Oh and this one should probably end up on the unfortunate pedal art thread :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

IMG-1168.jpg

IMG-1167.jpg

IMG-1169.jpg

IMG-1170.jpg

Last edited:
Thats an amazing idea! Ive seen these on Amazon. I have a cheap one without the light. I should get one not just for the pics but im sure thats helpful when building!

I'am interested in buying one pcb for Doxie, Cobbler and Bobby, but there still no build documentation available. I prefer to build them knowing the schematics of what I will build so that if I f'd up, it will be easier to troubleshoot because I have schematics as a map.

My question is, if ever I order a pcb that doesn't have available build doc, should I expect that they will send me a hard copy or a link where I can see the schematics?

My question is, if ever I order a pcb that doesn't have available build doc, should I expect that they will send me a hard copy or a link where I can see the schematics?
So far that has been the case. Theres a missing build documents thread, in the Project Development Forum, which a Robert is very good at checking. (He seems to peruse all of the forums very regularly.)

Back