The window

peccary

Check out Mr. Fancy Pants here with a window!

Today was my first time trying to solder with my arm in a sling and I was able to get a PCB built. It felt really good to do something (it's been a few weeks since I've built anything) though the drilling and offboard wiring will be tough one armed, but I can at least get some more PCBs built.

Mentaltossflycoon

Today was my first time trying to solder with my arm in a sling and I was able to get a PCB built. It felt really good to do something (it's been a few weeks since I've built anything) though the drilling and offboard wiring will be tough one armed, but I can at least get some more PCBs built.
Can relate as I also have no windows in my solder therapy cave/ rehearsal space/ laundry room. Thankfully both my hands are currently functioning, though chronic back pain keeps me from doing as much as I want. Hopefully you'll be back to making holes in stuff soon.

Paradox916

You could always frame Richard Kimball if you get bored...

peccary

Can relate as I also have no windows in my solder therapy cave/ rehearsal space/ laundry room. Thankfully both my hands are currently functioning, though chronic back pain keeps me from doing as much as I want. Hopefully you'll be back to making holes in stuff soon.
I'm in the garage, but work facing the back. Nothing to complain about as long as it's not too hot or cold.

Have you tried a standup desk? If not it might be worth a shot at helping with your back. It worked for me.

Mentaltossflycoon

Yes, my lutherie bench. It was actually built for me by my luthier friend that got me into the craft. He saw me super hunched carving a neck at his bench, I'm over 6'4". The next day I came to his shop, another was just sitting next to his with its own vise and lighting similar to his but 5 inches taller. Just a super good dude.

Years later when I remodeled my kitchen we lifted everything 5 inches. I can cook and do dishes without bending down and it's glorious. It's worth all the complaints of the glasses being out of reach of guests.

Next up, tall proofing my lawn mower handle.

Feral Feline

Egad I wish I could have a kitchen like that. I compromised, the kitchen we had everything was still a bit too low for me (doing dishes always did my back in.), but my wife still had to use a foot-stool in it. Don't know why, she's an Amazonian Goddess in my eyes... We're looking for a new abode, so will likely have another kitchen that's got too low counters/sinks etc.

Much appreciated if you can shoot me the dimensions to your stand-up lutherie bench?

Mentaltossflycoon

Egad I wish I could have a kitchen like that. I compromised, the kitchen we had everything was still a bit too low for me (doing dishes always did my back in.), but my wife still had to use a foot-stool in it. Don't know why, she's an Amazonian Goddess in my eyes... We're looking for a new abode, so will likely have another kitchen that's got too low counters/sinks etc.

Much appreciated if you can shoot me the dimensions to your stand-up lutherie bench?

42" height
48" across
26" deep

Here it is currently in my garage. Between having to move out of our shared shop into our garages (several towns apart) a few years ago, both of us having kids, and now covid... there's not a ton happening on my bench. Admittedly before covid, most of that happened at his place as he has all the nice big tools. I collected more of the specialized tools. Anyway. The top isn't even installed but here's where I mark enclosures for drilling and sand down my rattle can explorations.

Truly the only thing that makes this all that specific to lutherie is the shop fox vise. Loove that vise, I also took classes w Charles Fox who it's named for so it's extra groovy to me. Also peep my grandfather's old ass toolbox on the floor. It's a lot heavier empty than my other toolboxes are when full.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-021633_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-021633_Gallery.jpg
    906.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20211022-021646_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-021646_Gallery.jpg
    989.8 KB · Views: 9

Feral Feline

Many thanks. Some very cool kit on and around your bench!

The cool thing is you've got the space for it all, and the bench itself — always ready and waiting for any project that may find its way to you.

My next wood-working project is a step between two deck heights so my Mom can transition from one to the other without toppling... 😼

Mentaltossflycoon

Sounds like noble toil. I'm definitely blessed with more space than I am time, funds or energy. I'm thankful for at least having one of the ingredients. I've been calling it "tool acquisition mode" which... who among us is NOT currently in tool acquisition mode?

My next focus out there will be making a nice little finishing area and spray booth with a small closet addition off the back of the garage to separate the air compressor and eventually vacuum pump system from the room. I have sensitive lil ears and I want a huge compressor.

djmiyta

Mr Fancy Pants is too formal Fancy is fine and the window? Guess I’m just lucky that way

Barry

I can relate to the back pain, going for an injection in a couple of weeks